Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by John DeRosa <jo...@ipstreet.com> on 2010/07/23 18:37:17 UTC

Autocommit not happening

Hi! I'm a Solr newbie, and I don't understand why autocommits aren't happening in my Solr installation.

My one server running Solr:

- Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), with all the latest updates.
- Solr 1.4.0 running on Tomcat6
- Installation was done via "apt-get install solr-common solr-tomcat tomcat6-admin"

My solrconfig.xml has:
    <autoCommit>
      <maxDocs>10000</maxDocs>
      <maxTime>10000</maxTime>
    </autoCommit>

My code can add documents just fine. But after 12 hours, autocommit has never happened! Here's what I see on my Solr Admin pages:

CORE:
name: 	core
class:
version: 	1.0
stats: 	coreName :
startTime : Thu Jul 22 21:38:30 UTC 2010
refCount : 2
aliases : []
name: 	searcher
class: 	org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher
version: 	1.0
stats: 	searcherName : Searcher@10ed7f5c main
caching : true
numDocs : 0
maxDoc : 0
reader : SolrIndexReader{this=509f662e,r=ReadOnlyDirectoryReader@509f662e,refCnt=1,segments=0}
readerDir : org.apache.lucene.store.NIOFSDirectory@/var/lib/solr/data/index
indexVersion : 1279834591965
openedAt : Thu Jul 22 23:58:28 UTC 2010
registeredAt : Thu Jul 22 23:58:28 UTC 2010
warmupTime : 3
name: 	Searcher@10ed7f5c main
class: 	org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher
version: 	1.0
stats: 	searcherName : Searcher@10ed7f5c main
caching : true
numDocs : 0
maxDoc : 0
reader : SolrIndexReader{this=509f662e,r=ReadOnlyDirectoryReader@509f662e,refCnt=1,segments=0}
readerDir : org.apache.lucene.store.NIOFSDirectory@/var/lib/solr/data/index
indexVersion : 1279834591965
openedAt : Thu Jul 22 23:58:28 UTC 2010
registeredAt : Thu Jul 22 23:58:28 UTC 2010
warmupTime : 3

UPDATE HANDLERS:

name: 	updateHandler
class: 	org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2
version: 	1.0
stats: 	commits : 2
autocommits : 0
optimizes : 0
rollbacks : 0
expungeDeletes : 0
docsPending : 496590
adds : 496590
deletesById : 0
deletesByQuery : 0
errors : 0
cumulative_adds : 501989
cumulative_deletesById : 0
cumulative_deletesByQuery : 2
cumulative_errors : 0

There's nearly 500K pending commits, accumulated over the past 12 hours. I think we're past the specified autocommit limits. :-)

What should I look at to figure out what's preventing autocommits?

Thank you all in advance!

John

Re: Autocommit not happening

Posted by John DeRosa <jo...@ipstreet.com>.
I'll see you, and raise. My solrconfig.xml wasn't being copied to the server by the deployment script.

Posted by Jay Luker <lb...@reallywow.com>.

Posted by John DeRosa <jo...@ipstreet.com>.

Posted by John DeRosa <jo...@ipstreet.com>.
On Jul 23, 2010, at 9:37 AM, John DeRosa wrote:

> Hi! I'm a Solr newbie, and I don't understand why autocommits aren't happening in my Solr installation.
>
> My one server running Solr:
>
> - Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), with all the latest updates.
> - Solr 1.4.0 running on Tomcat6
> - Installation was done via "apt-get install solr-common solr-tomcat tomcat6-admin"
>
> My solrconfig.xml has:
>    <autoCommit>
>      <maxDocs>10000</maxDocs>
>      <maxTime>10000</maxTime>
>    </autoCommit>

[snip]

The plot thickens. var/log/tomcat6/catalina.out contains:

Jul 22, 2010 9:36:32 PM org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2$CommitTracker <init>
INFO: AutoCommit: disabled

What's stepping in and disabling autocommit?

John