Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com> on 2015/02/19 07:23:37 UTC

Cloud, Big Data and DevOps tracks

I've put together three tracks (if there is space), if not then we can talk about which ones are the best and put all other sessions on the wait list.

If there is more space I also have a DevOps track we could use (it's currently short one session though I have plenty of Devops sessions I could throw in to fill it out).

The tracks are:

Cloud
-------
Operating CloudStack: sharing my tool box
Building Primary Storage with Ceph
Guaranteeing Storage Performance in CloudStack
Introduction to Apache jclouds
Replatforming the Cloud and Datacenter with Apache Mesos
Scaling Hadoop In and Out of the Private Cloud

Big Data: Technologies
----------------------------
Apache Slider makes running applications on YARN a breeze
Apache Flink: Fast and reliable large-scale data processing
Introduction to Apache Kafka
Keep Me in the Loop: INotify in the Apache Hadoop Distributed Filesystem
Significantly speedup real-world big data applications using Apache Spark
Apache Bigtop: in-memory analytic software stack .Next

Big Data: Big Picture
-------------------------
Kafka at Scale: Multi-Tier Architectures
>From MapReduce to Spark with Apache Crunch
Letters from the Trenches: Behind the scenes with Hive at Yahoo
Delivering Systems of Insight by leveraging the Hadoop Ecosystem
Get Faster Data Flows with Spring, Hadoop and Hive
Real-time Big Data Analytics with Apache Spark and Apache Solr

Ross

Re: Cloud, Big Data and DevOps tracks

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 19 February 2015 at 09:03, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <
Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Don't go cutting without discussing with me. I'm trying to build a
> narrative here. I'm happy to cut for space, but I want to be the one who
> decides (recommendations welcome). Happy to jump on IRC to speed the
> process.

Of course NOT you made the tracks, you make the decisions....just wanted to
point out the need to do so.

IRC might be good, when both you and Rich are awake.

Have a good nights sleep.
rgds
jan i.

> Will try to do row numbers tomorrow (bed now)

Its just a convinience, search for the track names works too, just a bit
more clicks.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
hi

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 02/25/2015 06:46 PM, James Taylor wrote:
> I agree, Rich - can't have a talk on all 161 TLPs. But round about the
> 4th or 5th Tika talk (and no knock on that project - I'm sure it's a
> great project), I would have hoped you'd have considered other TLPs
> that don't have any representation (and that did submit a talk).

It's a bit of a catch-22. We have a limited number of tracks, and when
we have passionate champions come from various project communities to
pitch their track, and we're ignorant, as a group, of this other project
space, we have to make decisions based on what we know and who is
willing to do the work.

I've sent you private email with one possible option. Beyond that, the
solution here is to start campaigning for track space at ApacheCon EU.
(CFP coming soon at
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/program/cfp )

We cannot (and should not) cover every project at every event. We'd love
to see LF pitch a particular theme for a conference, and craft our
content around that. We'd also love to see N topic-specific ApacheCons
paced throughout the year, so that we don't have to pick and choose
quite so much. These things cost money, and we have explicitly and
intentionally delegated money matters to LF.

I would love to have an OSCON-sized venue, budget, and schedule, where
we could cover every TLP and bring 5000 people to come to the party.
Indeed, it is my eventual goal. But until we are there, we have to try
to build a schedule around those people/projects who are available to
put in the time and passion to craft and promote the content.

This is the other problem - if we build content around a TLP that hasn't
bothered to show up to help, then we (the few, the proud, the ignorant)
are also on the line to promote that content that we're ignorant of.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Cloud, Big Data and DevOps tracks

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
I agree, Rich - can't have a talk on all 161 TLPs. But round about the
4th or 5th Tika talk (and no knock on that project - I'm sure it's a
great project), I would have hoped you'd have considered other TLPs
that don't have any representation (and that did submit a talk).

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
I covered that in a separate mail. In the end I left your track untouched. I've recorded it in the spreadsheet as a "container" track for you.

Ross

What happened with the container track? I don't see that reflected in the "Cloud" track.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015, at 12:23 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> I've put together three tracks (if there is space), if not then we can
> talk about which ones are the best and put all other sessions on the
> wait list.
>
> If there is more space I also have a DevOps track we could use (it's
> currently short one session though I have plenty of Devops sessions I
> could throw in to fill it out).
>
> The tracks are:
>
> Cloud
> -------
> Operating CloudStack: sharing my tool box Building Primary Storage
> with Ceph Guaranteeing Storage Performance in CloudStack Introduction
> to Apache jclouds Replatforming the Cloud and Datacenter with Apache
> Mesos Scaling Hadoop In and Out of the Private Cloud
>
> Big Data: Technologies
> ----------------------------
> Apache Slider makes running applications on YARN a breeze Apache
> Flink: Fast and reliable large-scale data processing Introduction to
> Apache Kafka Keep Me in the Loop: INotify in the Apache Hadoop
> Distributed Filesystem Significantly speedup real-world big data
> applications using Apache Spark Apache Bigtop: in-memory analytic
> software stack .Next
>
> Big Data: Big Picture
> -------------------------
> Kafka at Scale: Multi-Tier Architectures From MapReduce to Spark with
> Apache Crunch Letters from the Trenches: Behind the scenes with Hive
> at Yahoo Delivering Systems of Insight by leveraging the Hadoop
> Ecosystem Get Faster Data Flows with Spring, Hadoop and Hive Real-time
> Big Data Analytics with Apache Spark and Apache Solr
>
> Ross

Best,

jzb

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 02/19/2015 09:14 AM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> What happened with the container track? I don't see that reflected in
> the "Cloud" track.

http://apacheconna2015.sched.org/overview/type/containers should be what
you provided.

--Rich

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
What happened with the container track? I don't see that reflected in
the "Cloud" track.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015, at 12:23 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> I've put together three tracks (if there is space), if not then we can
> talk about which ones are the best and put all other sessions on the wait
> list.
>
> If there is more space I also have a DevOps track we could use (it's
> currently short one session though I have plenty of Devops sessions I
> could throw in to fill it out).
>
> The tracks are:
>
> Cloud
> -------
> Operating CloudStack: sharing my tool box
> Building Primary Storage with Ceph
> Guaranteeing Storage Performance in CloudStack
> Introduction to Apache jclouds
> Replatforming the Cloud and Datacenter with Apache Mesos
> Scaling Hadoop In and Out of the Private Cloud
>
> Big Data: Technologies
> ----------------------------
> Apache Slider makes running applications on YARN a breeze
> Apache Flink: Fast and reliable large-scale data processing
> Introduction to Apache Kafka
> Keep Me in the Loop: INotify in the Apache Hadoop Distributed Filesystem
> Significantly speedup real-world big data applications using Apache Spark
> Apache Bigtop: in-memory analytic software stack .Next
>
> Big Data: Big Picture
> Kafka at Scale: Multi-Tier Architectures
> From MapReduce to Spark with Apache Crunch
> Letters from the Trenches: Behind the scenes with Hive at Yahoo
> Delivering Systems of Insight by leveraging the Hadoop Ecosystem
> Get Faster Data Flows with Spring, Hadoop and Hive
> Real-time Big Data Analytics with Apache Spark and Apache Solr
>
> Ross

Best,

jzb