Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> on 2022/05/02 12:02:28 UTC

new XercesJ release, opinions

Hi all,
   I was just wondering that, should we have a new XercesJ release
2.12.3 sometime these days?

Following is the XercesJ jira report, describing the 'created vs
resolved issues' since the 2.12.2 release, as of today,

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ConfigureReport.jspa?projectOrFilterId=project-10520&periodName=monthly&daysprevious=90&cumulative=false&versionLabels=all&selectedProjectId=10520&reportKey=com.atlassian.jira.jira-core-reports-plugin%3Acreatedvsresolved-report

There are few XercesJ jira issues, that have been resolved since
2.12.2 release. Few of these resolved jira issues, involved
substantial XercesJ code changes (mostly within XercesJ's XML Schema
1.1 implementation).

If people on this list, agree on a new XercesJ release these days, I
could volunteer to make this new XercesJ release. Michael (our pmc
chair), do you have any opinions about this topic?

Mukul Gandhi

Re: new XercesJ release, opinions

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi John,

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 11:01 PM JOHN Morris <j....@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Is it to be assumed that a new release will have been exercised with all the previous test-cases, in order to verify that no past issues (that were resolved in previous releases) are being re-introduced in the new release?

We've a very good collection of test cases, that we run before making
a new XercesJ release. This ensures that, no past issues resolved in
the previous releases are being re-introduced in the new release.

Generally, the newer XercesJ release is better than the previous
release, due to improved implementation and/or new bug fixes.

> Also, I assume that the as-yet-unresolved issues from earlier releases (e.g. 2.12.2, in this case) are each mainly characterised by a certain set of symptoms. Do those symptoms normally remain stable, across releases, or is it the responsibility of the originator of the issue report(s) to try to replicate their issue(s) under the new release and to understand what new symptoms relate to that/those issue(s).?

Generally, any unresolved issues from earlier releases, remain stable
with the newer releases. While making a new XercesJ release, firstly
we publish a release candidate (RC) for review and vote by community.
After the RC is through with the voting process, we push the RC to
production.

Posted by JOHN Morris <j....@ntlworld.com.INVALID>.
Hi Mukul,

A couple of questions first relating to process...

Is it to be assumed that a new release will have been exercised with all the previous test-cases, in order to verify that no past issues (that were resolved in previous releases) are being re-introduced in the new release?

Also, I assume that the as-yet-unresolved issues from earlier releases (e.g. 2.12.2, in this case) are each mainly characterised by a certain set of symptoms. Do those symptoms normally remain stable, across releases, or is it the responsibility of the originator of the issue report(s) to try to replicate their issue(s) under the new release and to understand what new symptoms relate to that/those issue(s).?

Apart from those points, I would like to see XML Schema 1.1 supported as well as as possible.

Best regards,

John MORRIS.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael & all,
    Thanks for the thoughts.

I'll work on the process shortly, to make a new XercesJ release.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
I agree too.

Michael Glavassevich
Software Development