Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/03 19:23:23 UTC

maven: d3.legend.js mods

Hi Chris, I picked up the d3.legend.js refactoring (7d8a69f <https://github.com/apache/incubator-edgent/commit/7d8a69f>) and it causes this error in Eclipse:

Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: com.googlecode.maven-download-plugin:download-maven-plugin:1.2.1:wget (execution: get-d3-legend-js, phase: generate-resources)	pom.xml	/edgent-console-servlets	line 125	Maven Project Build Lifecycle Mapping Problem

Also, earlier mods cause the following warnings in Eclipse that would be good to eliminate:

Access "/Users/dlaboss/git/dutz-incubator-edgent/console/server/../../src/main/appended-resources/licenses" directory outside of project base directory. (org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:2.7:resources:default-resources:process-resources)	pom.xml	/edgent-console-server	line 1	Maven Build Participant Problem

Access "/Users/dlaboss/git/dutz-incubator-edgent/console/servlets/../../src/main/appended-resources/licenses" directory outside of project base directory. (org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:2.7:resources:default-resources:process-resources)	pom.xml	/edgent-console-servlets	line 1	Maven Build Participant Problem

Duplicating managed version 2.5.3 for maven-assembly-plugin	pom.xml	/edgent-distribution	line 40	Maven pom Loading Problem

Thanks!
— Dale

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> So, I added this to the servlets LICENSE

Perfect!

Justin

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Justin …

So, I added this to the servlets LICENSE:

License: MIT

jquery (org.webjars:jquery:1.11.2)
    For details, see META-INF/licenses/jquery-1_11_2-MIT.txt.

jquery-ui (org.webjars:jquery-ui:1.11.4)
    For details, see META-INF/licenses/jquery-ui-1_11_4-MIT.txt.

d3.legend.js (src/main/webapp/js/ext/d3.legend/d3.legend.js)
    With Edgent specific modifications.
    For details, see META-INF/licenses/d3.legend-MIT.txt.

And this to the server LICENSE (which includes the file by incuding the servlet.war in a “resources” package):

License: MIT

jquery (org.webjars:jquery:1.11.2)
    For details, see META-INF/licenses/jquery-1_11_2-MIT.txt.

jquery-ui (org.webjars:jquery-ui:1.11.4)
    For details, see META-INF/licenses/jquery-ui-1_11_4-MIT.txt.

d3.legend.js (included inside the resources/servlets.war!/js/ext/d3.legend/d3.legend.js)
    With Edgent specific modifications.
    For details, see META-INF/licenses/d3.legend-MIT.txt.

Chris

Am 24.10.17, 11:34 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    > the license of the file is still MIT … we didn’t change anything with this. And it is referenced in the LICENSE file as being MIT licensed. The only thing I don’t quite know, is if it’s enough to reference the local path to the file in the LICENSE file.

    Sounds fine to me.

    Thanks,
    Justin

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Justin,

the license of the file is still MIT … we didn’t change anything with this. And it is referenced in the LICENSE file as being MIT licensed. The only thing I don’t quite know, is if it’s enough to reference the local path to the file in the LICENSE file.

Chris

Am 24.10.17, 11:06 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    > having a deeper look into the differences, I decided to just put the original file back in there.
    > In general, I think it’s a bad idea to include other licensed code and to change its code. We should avoid things like that in the future.
    > Do we now have to add a part to the NOTICE file of the “servlets” and the “console” modules to include the d3.legend.js stuff?

    No need to modify NOTICE may ned to be added to LICENSE however. Also while the current license is Apache, the license of the modified version may not be given it changed 7 months ago.

    Thanks,
    Justin

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Dale,

having a deeper look into the differences, I decided to just put the original file back in there.
In general, I think it’s a bad idea to include other licensed code and to change its code. We should avoid things like that in the future.
Do we now have to add a part to the NOTICE file of the “servlets” and the “console” modules to include the d3.legend.js stuff?

Chris

    Cool!

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.
Cool!

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Dale (taking this back to the list … don’t know why hitting reply so often only makes me reply to you directly),

Von: Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>
Datum: Dienstag, 17. Oktober 2017 um 15:47
An: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>
Betreff: Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Excellent, thanks!

I’m redoing the samples/get-edgent-jars stuff (converting it to use the “distribution” mechanism so as to be able to get the DEPENDENCIES “licensing doc”).

After d3.legend, I think we’re finally at the point of being ready for a pre-merge release dry-run!  There’s some other user doc related issues (which I'll start to address), but I don’t think they're holding up a dry-run. Your thoughts?

Related, while you’ve already committed a huge amount of time to this effort, which is greatly greatly appreciated, I’m going to suggest/ask/beg that you volunteer to be the Release Manager for this next release so that we can get this out the door as quickly as possible after we merge.  Having someone who knows how the release process is supposed to go with all of this new tooling will be invaluable the first time around.  And of course you’ll have the public recognition of having pushed out an Edgent release, and presumably your project will benefit from its availability :-)  What do you say?

— Dale

On Oct 16, 2017, at 4:13 PM, Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>> wrote:
I think I’ll look into those problems now that finally the legal stuff seems to be done ☺
I bet there will be an option to use the normal legend.js and fix the problem without tweaking the code.

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.
Chris, do you want to look into whether or not changes can be made to allow “pure” d3.legend use,
or do you just want to reinstate our d3.legend in the repo?

— Dale

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Dale,

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Oh yeah … I remember seeing that difference.

I guess it would probably be the best option to modify the rest of the application to work with the d3.legend.js instead of patching the library to work with our application.
This way we could keep the MIT code out of our repo, which is a rather desirable thing.

I’ll look into how to refactor the application or to find out if any modification is needed at all (I did check the example and it seemed to work nicely without any errors)

Re: maven: d3.legend.js mods

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

pom errors/warnings in Eclipse

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

I just committed changes to eliminate the error and last warning below.
Don’t know if there’s anything that can be done about the “Access” warnings.  Eclipse isn’t offering a quick fix to squelch it.

— Dale