Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org> on 2017/07/18 10:21:53 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

We recently moved flink-shaded to GitBox; overall I'm quite happy with
how it works.

However, it is not possible for committers to push commits that haven't
gone through the github/asf
account linking process (https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/).

I verified this today in an experiment with the help of Robert.

The linking process requires every committer to join the ASF github
organization, include their github username
in the apache profile, and setup 2-factor-authorization for their github
account.

While i would love to have the gitbox functionality for the Flink
repository I don't know whether we want to
impose these requirements on all committers.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
It appears the mirroring is bi-directional.

Here's the output i got while pushing

    /remote: Sending notification emails to:
    ['"commits@flink.apache.org" <co...@flink.apache.org>']
    remote: To git@github:apache/flink-shaded.git
    remote:    fd3033b..301c6bb 301c6bbc5e87c44eac48d43e3b9ce44f3b54b3eb
    -> test_branch
    remote: Syncing refs/heads/test_branch...
    To https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/flink-shaded.git
        fd3033b..301c6bb  master -> test_branch
    /

What remains to be seen is what happens if the 2 repos are out of sync,
for example due to a concurrent
push to both apache and github. I don't have the time today to try this
out though.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Greg Hogan <co...@greghogan.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Greg Hogan <co...@greghogan.com>.
You are not able to push to the ASF repo? This link implies that both work (and identify an issue now addressed):
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14039 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14039>

From my .git/config:

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.