Posted to ddlutils-user@db.apache.org by Kirk True <ki...@mustardgrain.com> on 2006/06/02 02:46:11 UTC

Complex DDL

Hi all,

First off, great project! It's amazing the number of databases that are
supported.

I'm helping a client to move to a XML->SQL code generator to alleviate
ongoing porting bottlenecks between the databases they support. DdlUtils
looks like it meets a lot of what they need. Unfortunately, I wasn't
able to determine if the following features are or will be supported:

    Creating sequences/sequence tables (depending on DB support)
    Creating views with arbitrarily complex queries
    Oracle tablespace clauses for table and index creation
    Altering table columns to allow/disallow nullness, change data size,
etc.

If it fits in with the goals of the project/client, I could make an
effort at contributing all or part of the code.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Kirk

Re: Complex DDL

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 6/2/06, Kirk True <ki...@mustardgrain.com> wrote:

> I'm helping a client to move to a XML->SQL code generator to alleviate
> ongoing porting bottlenecks between the databases they support. DdlUtils
> looks like it meets a lot of what they need. Unfortunately, I wasn't
> able to determine if the following features are or will be supported:
>
>     Creating sequences/sequence tables (depending on DB support)

This is planned, though not in the upcoming 1.0, together with
(limited) procedure and trigger support.

>     Creating views with arbitrarily complex queries

This is difficult to do in a database-independent way, esp. because of
the involved query.

>     Oracle tablespace clauses for table and index creation

This could be supported via attributes to the model elements (which
would contain database-specifc settings), though it requires a change
to the DTD, and thus would need to come after the 1.0.

>     Altering table columns to allow/disallow nullness, change data size,
> etc.

This is supported already. You can try it out by using the
writeSchemaSqlToFile subtask
(http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/ant-tasks.html#Subtask%3A+writeSchemaSqlToFile-N107F8)
which simply outputs the SQL that DdlUtils would use.

> If it fits in with the goals of the project/client, I could make an
> effort at contributing all or part of the code.

Sure, go ahead!

cheers,
Tom