Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Ir...@t-systems.com on 2008/06/04 16:22:27 UTC

doubt in property

Hi All,

I was trying to analyze following two lines.

<property name="catcs_log.file"
location="${log.dir}/db_catcs.log"/>

<property name="rules"                       value="prs_db.rules"/>

Following are my doubts

1: is it necessary to write .file in the property name in the first
line??

2: Both are properties then why we are sometime using value and sometime
location??

Request you to please let me know the significance

Please help

Regards

Irfan.

Re: doubt in property

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:22 AM,  <Ir...@t-systems.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I was trying to analyze following two lines.
>

> <property name="catcs_log.file"
> location="${log.dir}/db_catcs.log"/>
>
> <property name="rules"                       value="prs_db.rules"/>
>

> Following are my doubts
>

> 1: is it necessary to write .file in the property name in the first
> line??

This is a common convention, to suffix a property with an indicator of
what it is :".file", ".dir", ".path", etc.

> 2: Both are properties then why we are sometime using value and sometime
> location??

They do different things; the documentation is pretty clear on this;
they both set a property but the value assigning will vary dependening
on the variation.  location is used to assign an absolute path name,
whereas value just does normal substitutions.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

RE: doubt in property

Posted by "Anderson, Rob (Global Trade)" <Ro...@nike.com>.
Name of properties are arbitrary. The location and value attributes are
well documented...
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/property.html

-Rob A

RE: doubt in property

Posted by "Rebhan, Gilbert" <Gi...@huk-coburg.de>.

When using f.e.

<property name="prod.appserver" value="foobar"/>
<property name="prod.pwd" value="topsecret"/>
<property name="prod.db.user" value="homer"/>
<property name="prod.db.pwd" value="duff_rulez"/>
<property name="test.appserver" value="foobaz"/>
<property name="test.pwd" value="secret"/>

you can bundle properties that belong together, many tasks
that deal with properties have a prefix attribute, f.e.

<echoproperties prefix="prod"/>

or

<propertyset id="prodproperties">
  <propertyref prefix="prod"/>
</propertyset>

or all db related stuff for production

<propertyset id="db_prod">
  <propertyref prefix="prod.db"/>
</propertyset>

Regards, Gilbert

I was trying to analyze following two lines.

<property name="catcs_log.file"
location="${log.dir}/db_catcs.log"/>

<property name="rules"                       value="prs_db.rules"/>

Following are my doubts

1: is it necessary to write .file in the property name in the first
line??

2: Both are properties then why we are sometime using value and sometime
location??

Request you to please let me know the significance

Please help

Regards

Irfan.

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended
for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.
You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or
the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

TIAA-CREF