Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/01 14:53:45 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] [Core] window-id for myfaces-core 2.0.x and 2.1.x

Hi

2012/7/31 Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>:
> hi leo,
>
> no - we don't need a compromise just for testing this feature. it's really
> an important feature also for v2.0.x and v2.1.x!
> i explained all the advantages (for users of myfaces-core v2.0.x and v2.1.x
> and also tomee) in the first mail of this thread - please read it again.

I'm not proposing to do not do it for 2.0.x / 2.1.x . Instead, I'm
proposing to start implementing the javadoc proposed in the early
draft review :

http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=344

Later, when we have a clear idea about how the implementation should
work, we can think about how to do a backport for 2.0.x / 2.1.x.

> if you have objections concerning the initial stability of the myfaces
> specific api, it's also fine to start with a prototype in a separated
> branch.

I think a good plan is:

1. Create a 2.1.x branch (2.1.x-client-window), set versions to
2.1.9-CLIENT-WINDOW-SNAPSHOT and work in a implementation, following
JSF 2.2 early draft javadoc, taking as base what we have in MyFaces
CODI and previous discussions in the wiki.
2. Try it, create examples and see how it works and correct what's necessary.
3. Only when the implementation is clear, propose a backport to be
included in 2.1.x .

In this way, we minimize the effort involved, because the code in the
branch could be easily included later in MyFaces 2.2, and we ensure
the implementation in 2.1.x is aligned with the spec (test this stuff
will take some time, and if another draft of the spec is out in that
time, we can check it and synchronize it with our code).

If no objections I'll start with the necessary steps.

regards,

Leonardo Uribe

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I have created the following branch:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/core/branches/2.1.x-client-window/

And committed an implementation of JSF 2.2 early draft api for
windowId, as suggested. The patch is available too in MYFACES-3588.

Inside the branch I created a simple test application too:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/core/branches/2.1.x-client-window/client-window-example/

copying the tests we have for Flash object.

The code has two implementations for ClientWindow: the one in CODI
(default) and the one using only the url query param. It is just
necessary to set the param:

    <context-param>
        <param-name>javax.faces.CLIENT_WINDOW_MODE</param-name>
        <param-value>default</param-value>
    </context-param>

I also fixed Flash scope to use ClientWindow instead a cookie, and
when server side state saving is used, the window id is used to keep
track of the last key used in the window, solving the problem that
makes expire views of different views with GET-GET navigation. To do
that, it is just necessary to set these two params:

    <context-param>
        <description>Only applicable if state saving method is
"server" (= default).
            Defines the amount (default = 20) of the latest views are
stored in session.</description>
        <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.NUMBER_OF_VIEWS_IN_SESSION</param-name>
        <param-value>20</param-value>
    </context-param>
    <context-param>
        <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.NUMBER_OF_SEQUENTIAL_VIEWS_IN_SESSION</param-name>
        <param-value>5</param-value>
    </context-param>

In this case 20/5 = 4 are the number of windows that can be created in
a browser and the algoritm will keep 5 slots into the state per
window.

Now, it is necessary to define if the implementation in CODI is good
enough, or if somebody wants to provide another implementation for
this feature.

Suggestions are welcome.

regards,

Leonardo Uribe