Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Xuelin Cao <xu...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/05 04:44:10 UTC

When will Spark Streaming supports Kafka-simple consumer API?

Hi,

     In our environment, Kafka can only be used with simple consumer API,
like storm spout does.

     And, also, I found there are suggestions that " Kafka connector of
Spark should not be used in production
<http://markmail.org/message/2lb776ta5sq6lgtw> because it is based on the
high-level consumer API of Kafka."

    So, my question is, when will spark streaming supports Kafka simple
consumer API?

Re: When will Spark Streaming supports Kafka-simple consumer API?

Posted by "Xuelin Cao.2015" <xu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Tathagata

     Thanks for the information, I'm trying to build 1.3 snapshot and make
another try.

     There are 2 reasons for why we use Kafka SimpleConsumer API
     1. Previously, in our company, all of the real time processing system
were build on Apache Storm. So, the kafka environment is set to only
support SimpleConsumer API. The kafka environment is controlled by another
group of engineers in our company, and for some reasons I don't know, they
only support SimpleConsumer API.

     2. There is a document advises do not use kafka + spark streaming in
the production environment, due to spark streaming only supports high level
API. see
*http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2014/10/01/kafka-spark-streaming-integration-example-tutorial/#known-issues-in-spark-streaming
<http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2014/10/01/kafka-spark-streaming-integration-example-tutorial/#known-issues-in-spark-streaming>*

         I'm not quite sure whether the advise is with bias to spark
streaming. But, since we don't have any successful project as our
reference, we need to be careful about it.

Posted by Tathagata Das <ta...@gmail.com>.