Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/11/22 22:55:02 UTC

merlin terminology - s/appliance/assembly/

Hi Steve, others,

I took a look at the appliance stuff in merlin2. Might I suggest
dropping the term appliance (it makes me think of microwaves), and
replacing it with "assembly" (as in ".Net Assembly")? Seems in line with
the name of the module anyway....

terms matter :D

cheers,

- Leo

Re: merlin terminology - s/appliance/assembly/

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

>Hi Steve, others,
>
>I took a look at the appliance stuff in merlin2. Might I suggest
>dropping the term appliance (it makes me think of microwaves), and
>replacing it with "assembly" (as in ".Net Assembly")? Seems in line with
>the name of the module anyway....

I'm open to alternative - but "assembly" does not get me too excited
becuase the appliace abstraciton is a lot more than assembly -
"assembly" is a stage in a lifecycle (the resolution of depedencies
exposed by a component) ... any other suggestions?

The thing that attract me to the word "appliance" is that an applicance
is something that serves a particular purpose.  This is different from
the notions of type, profile, service etc. which are descriptions of
things.  You take an appliance - plug it in (connect up other appliances
to it), turn-it-on (request a service), and it delivers results.

Cheers, Steve.

>terms matter :D
>
>cheers,
>
>- Leo