Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/11/04 00:42:44 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Usage of Aether and Sisu as dependencies of maven core with EPL licenses - take 2

Another month went by.... any progress?

david jencks

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
I was just discussing this at lunch with coworkers and was about to post
the very same question.  Would be great to see movement on this.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
no reason at all other than no committer has reasked for the dependency
change. i am hoping benjamin can make a release of aether cut from the
eclipse git repo or some other public repo clone of the eclipse one, and
then asks to use that dep...

alternatively if somebody wants to propose what they will release as an
aether patch release and have the pmc vote for that dep change up front

- Stephen

---
screen

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Yes, it all works fine and the tests pass.

On Nov 10, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> Ok I will start a vote for both aether and sisu upgrade.
>
> Just tested today both. Just need a simple change to have unit tests passed.
>

> 2011/11/10 Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>:
>> Sure, I'll let someone the PMC call the vote. Happy to do the work once that's taken care of.
>>
>> On Nov 10, 2011, at 9:08 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
>>
>>> I'm fine, but process says you should call a vote to change the
>>> dependency from the ASL version to the EPL licensed version. Yes there
>>> was a vote before, but the circumstances have changed, and hence there
>>> is strong likelyhood (IMHO) that a re-vote might result in a different
>>> answer
>>>
>>> -Stephen

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

> Olivier Lamy
> Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

  -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)

Re: [VOTE] Usage of Aether and Sisu as dependencies of maven core with EPL licenses - take 2

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Sure, I'll let someone the PMC call the vote. Happy to do the work once that's taken care of.

On Nov 10, 2011, at 9:08 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> I'm fine, but process says you should call a vote to change the
> dependency from the ASL version to the EPL licensed version. Yes there
> was a vote before, but the circumstances have changed, and hence there
> is strong likelyhood (IMHO) that a re-vote might result in a different
> answer
>
> -Stephen
>
> On 10 November 2011 13:50, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:
>> So are people fine with using Aether 1.13. I've already got the necessary changes if we want to go ahead with that.

>>> Yes, but that's the decision you made.

>>> Yes, I tried to explain this a month ago. The code is all Sonatype copyright, and EPL. Wherever the code is that fact remains the same.

>>> Because it's far more work than necessary, use Aether 1.13 that is EPL and is released. I can update it and start the release process tomorrow.

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>>
>>> Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
>>> of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
>>> the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
>>> groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
>>> clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
>>> signs of decline and decay.
>>>
>>> -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition
>>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.
>>
>>  -- Unknown

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Usage of Aether and Sisu as dependencies of maven core with EPL licenses - take 2

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

On Nov 7, 2011, at 9:24 AM, John Casey wrote:

> On 11/4/11 7:28 AM, Alexander Kurtakov wrote:
>> On 13:04:06 Friday 04 November 2011 Stephen Connolly wrote:

>>> Any idea what's needed to prod the process along... never having been
>>> involved at eclipse before, this seems like a rather long process with
>>> no visibility (as far as I can see) as to what is taking place and
>>> where the blockers are
>>
>> Eclipse IP team is going through every single dependency (even test ones) and
>> checks that they have proper license and so on. And Maven projects tend to
>> have so many dependencies that this is only slowing the process. Note that
>> different version of e.g. plexus-utils have to be examined separately because
>> something can sneak in. And a number of plexus artifacts are missing license
>> information in a number of places (just an example).
>> Please note that this is a problem not only for Eclipse but for others too. We
>> (Fedora) have opened a number of issues to get licencing clarified in so many
>> places that I can't count them only for maven+plugins dependencies.
>> Another thing is the usage of outdated and obsoleted versions in a number of
>> artifacts which have to reviewed separately despite them being dead for long
>> time. Btw, this is part of the usual complain that Maven downloads the
>> Internet because for certain artifacats usual "clean install" downloads more
>> than 5 versions with all of their dependencies. This is certainly a burden for
>> every IP clearance review.
>
> If only the review could be distributed, and the dependencies be
> published with some sort of signature pre-certifying them. But I guess
> that would amount to Eclipse (and others...Fedora?) trusting the
> certifications coming from an outside entity.
>
> It seems a tad wasteful to have multiple entities doing the same thing
> in parallel, and it's definitely sub-optimal to have this sort of
> bottleneck develop just before a release happens.
>

>> Alexander Kurtakov

> John Casey
> Developer, PMC Chair - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
> Blog: http://www.johnofalltrades.name/

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Usage of Aether and Sisu as dependencies of maven core with EPL licenses - take 2

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Alexander Kurtakov <ak...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 4 November 2011 13:41, Alexander Kurtakov <ak...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 15:35:35 Friday 04 November 2011 Jesse McConnell wrote:
>> Perhaps they don't have to make a formal eclipse release, but so long
>> as they have parallel ip in place they should be able make a milestone
>> or release candidate release.  The formal eclipse 'release' isn't what
>> we in maven lands consider a release really, they consider a release
>> something that can be 'conditioned' with their pack process and signed
>> by the official eclipse key, etc.  It also has to have had release
>> docuware created, a static iplog (which is the hold up here) and then
>> gone though the release review process (which is generally a couple of
>> weeks after its been called for).
>>
>> I suspect they should be able to make an RC that you could put into
>> central and release maven against though...it would just have to
>> contain something like 1.0.0.RC0 as the version to adhere to the
>> spirit of the law.  We release jetty rc's into maven central before
>> formal 'release' and in some cases its actually encouraged as they
>> look for published milestone or rc releases during the release review
>> process as a gauge of release maturity (at least I think that is it,
>> its been mentioned a couple of times in the last few years)
>
> Well, Probably I misunderstand the discussion but IIRC there was a vote that
> decided that Aether and Sisu will be fine once there is an Eclipse.org release.
> There might really be such difference in what everyone understand as a release
> but an unofficial release on maven central won't be any different than the latest
> sonatype releases on maven central.

Actually, I think as long as the release is pushed to central via the
approved route for artifacts belonging to groupId org.eclipse.*, is
signed by at least one of the eclipse committers of the project and as
long as the source for that release is in the eclipse.org SCM, then I
personally see that as being fine.

The source was only loaded into the eclipse SCM 9 days ago... and I
only saw that today...

Posted by Alexander Kurtakov <ak...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Kurtakov <ak...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 4 November 2011 10:55, Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> wrote:
> Stephen Connolly wrote:
>
>> Any idea what's needed to prod the process along... never having been
>> involved at eclipse before, this seems like a rather long process with
>> no visibility (as far as I can see) as to what is taking place and
>> where the blockers are
>
> Looking at Eclipse' IPZilla, which btw is accessible to any Eclipse
> committer, I see currently around 180 open CQs that the IP team needs to
> deal with, Aether just being one among many projects.
>
> I don't know the details of the inner CQ processing either, so can only
> suggest you directly contact the IP team to get exact answers on the
> progress.
>
> On a personal note, I find it odd that the Maven PMC rejects to use
> (Sonatype) Aether 1.12/1.13 but is apparently very eager to consume Eclipse
> Aether, which basically offers the same functionality and uses the same
> license, EPL.

Please let's not start all that again....

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.