Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2016/04/08 16:18:25 UTC

[Math] Feature development model: pull request?

Hello.

Struggling with how to share non-committer contributions:

At some point, we should have a paragraph in
   doc/development/development.howto.txt
that would explain which steps the contributor and committer must
follow (i.e. one, simple, fool-proof, way) in order to, respectively,
create and merge a pull request.

Thanks,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Feature development model: pull request?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

I'm not fluent enough in "git" and never used "Github", so most
of what you write below is not at all clear to me.

Also, I'm not sure that we talk from the same basis.
Just to be sure: Commons Math is not hosted at "Github"; the "Github"
site is merely a "one-way" mirror.
Committers must "push" code to the "Apache" repository.

Gilles

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hey Gilles,

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 08:04:54 -0400, Rob Tompkins wrote:
> All,
>
> I was thinking about this some over the weekend. How many of the
> contributors (those without commit access to the apache repository),
> do you think, will be accessing and submitting code via GitHub pull
> request? I ask because GitHub offers a template mechanism for pull
> requests.

Impossible to say (statistics is too poor). :-}
But even for one potential contributor, it would be worth to make
the process as simple and clear as possible.

> Generally, a pull request is a request to merge a remote branch into
> a central branch. What comes along with the merge request is a title
> and message as well as an associated comment thread. GitHub currently
> accommodates for “templating” the message portion of the pull
> request.
> It essentially provides a standardized format for the pull request
> message. Further, one can use HTML style comments in the template for
> items that we do not wish to be presented in the GitHub user
> interface
> (directions and such that we don’t want to show up in the GitHub user
> interface). For example, the spring-boot project’s .github
> directory's
> (https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/tree/master/.github)
> pull request template has the following HTML comment:
>
> <!--
> Thanks for contributing to Spring Boot. Please provide a brief
> description of your pull-request and reference any related issue
> numbers (prefix references with #).
> -->
>
> Is there any appetite for such an item in the commons-math repo?

It seems like a good idea.  But perhaps others should comment about
any requirements.

> If
> so I can get a Jira issue started and a pull request in to master &
> develop with the changes.

Thanks, but please read
   doc/development/development.howto.txt
The template should NOT assume that the code is to be merged in either
"master" or "develop".
A contribution should be related to a JIRA report and be merged in
an ad-hoc branch before a committer will merge _that_ branch into
"develop".
Now, we can anticipate that for some "trivial" contributions (e.g. a
short documentation fix, or formatting), it would be nice to not have
to make the detour through a new branch.

So I'd propose to prepare:
* one template for trivial changes (into "develop") that do not modify
   the code,
* one template for other changes (specifically _not_ into "develop")
   that _must_ be linked to a JIRA issue.

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
All,

[...]

Is there any appetite for such an item in the commons-math repo? If so I can get a Jira issue started and a pull request in to master & develop with the changes.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.