Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Thiemo Voigt <th...@sics.se> on 2001/04/19 10:56:22 UTC

what happens when kernel resets connection

Hi,

Sorry, if this question is out of scope. Please redirect me to another
mailling list
if this mail is send to the wrong place.

I wonder what happens in the following situation:

assume an Apache thread (process) does a read,
waiting for e.g. the next HTTP header on a persistent connection.
Due to some circumstances, either the client of the server itself
resets the connection. I assume the Apache worker's read
returns with a -1. But how does the Apache thread react to that?
Does it exit, or does it execute a new accept to accept a new
connection?

Hope somebody can answer this question,  I assume people on
this list can tell me.
Thank you very much

Thiemo

Re: what happens when kernel resets connection

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.
Thiemo Voigt <th...@sics.se> writes:

> assume an Apache thread (process) does a read,
> waiting for e.g. the next HTTP header on a persistent connection.
> Due to some circumstances, either the client of the server itself
> resets the connection. I assume the Apache worker's read
> returns with a -1. But how does the Apache thread react to that?
> Does it exit, or does it execute a new accept to accept a new
> connection?

In general, it will stay around to handle new connections.  Note that
there are conditions where it will exit after a connection has been
processed, some of which are MPM-specific.  There may be too many idle
threads around.  Maybe the process has just now reached the
MaxRequestsPerChild limit.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...