Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/22 11:36:19 UTC

Release notes preparation via release-drafter

Hi,

I suggest we start using Release Drafter [1] for the preparation of the
release notes.
I'm going to submit and merge a PR soon, however, I would appreciate it if
somebody else
would do that (see [2] for a minimal commit)

I am sure it would significantly increase the quality of the release notes
and it would make releases easier to prepare.

Jenkins team incepted release-drafter, and they use it a lot.

Here's a sample configuration for Jenkins projects:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/.github/blob/f1a34987f2919f039282a13b8741e3c463d18bc6/.github/release-drafter.yml

Here are the results:
https://github.com/jenkinsci/configuration-as-code-plugin/releases

[1] https://github.com/release-drafter/release-drafter
[2]
https://github.com/vlsi/ksar/commit/ec210ffb7d0f91631908d01976c8bb4d5f7c4e0d

Vladimir

Re: Release notes preparation via release-drafter

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
>I'm afraid this is not accurate.

Nothing is accurate, so what do you suggest?

Posted by xiong duan <no...@gmail.com>.
> Release drafter can automatically add labels based on the filenames.

If we add new feature in class and modify the test class to add the feature unit test in one PR. Then the tools can labels this PR is a new feature or fix a bug? I want to know how “automatically” add labels based on the filenames ?  I'm afraid this is not accurate.

Re: Release notes preparation via release-drafter

Posted by xiong duan <no...@gmail.com>.
We can’t request our contributor have a good branch name、title with fixed bug or body include this JIRA number when submitting a PR.
So If we want it to work, we need The Contributor who merges the PR to confirm this PR has an appropriate label.

Re: Release notes preparation via release-drafter

Posted by xiong duan <no...@gmail.com>.
Looks like I find it :

https://github.com/marketplace/actions/release-drafter <https://github.com/marketplace/actions/release-drafter>.
Autolabeler

Thanks.

Re: Release notes preparation via release-drafter

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
>This is an accurate label ? I just want to confirm.

Please rephrase. I don't understand it.

Posted by xiong duan <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
>This will request to add another Label to every PR

Release drafter can automatically add labels based on the filenames.

PRs without labels are still acceptable, so having labels is not a
requirement.

Posted by xiong duan <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vladimir,

The example results looks very friendly. This will request to add another Label to every PR Then it can auto genarate the release notes. If this can work in Calcite, I am expected.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
+1 for automating the process as much as possible. Also +1 for waiting
until we have a discussion about it.

--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org