Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/16 14:59:25 UTC

Arrow sync at 12pm EDT today

See you at https://meet.google.com/vtm-teks-phx

RE: Arrow sync at 12pm EDT today

Posted by Alex Hagerman <al...@unexpectedeof.net>.
Aneesh and I had some good conversations during the sprint at PyCon. Not sure if he will be on the call today to share, but I won’t be able to make it until the next call.

Alex

I'm stuck at "Asking to Join." Will move to better WiFi and try again.
ᐧ

--

Aneesh Karve | 765-360-9348 | LinkedIn <http://linkedin.com/in/aneeshkarve> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/akarve>

quiltdata.com | Manage data like code
<https://blog.quiltdata.com/its-time-to-manage-data-like-source-code-3df04cd312b8>

Re: Arrow sync at 12pm EDT today

Posted by Phillip Cloud <cp...@gmail.com>.
Meeting notes from the call:

Attendees/Topics to discuss

   -

   Wes
   -

      Packaging
      -

   Uwe
   -

      Packaging
      -

   Simba
   -

   Li Two Sigma
   -

   Ethan Two Sigma
   -

   Josh Two Sigma
   -

      Exceptions vs status codes
      -

      Class design question
      -

         What data goes in parent/child classes?
         -

      Parquet arrow code location
      -

   Phillip Two Sigma
   -

   Kristizian
   -

      Packaging
      -

   Aneesh

Packaging

   -

   Questions
   -

      Where are the artifacts going?
      -

      BinTray
      -

         Each job posts an artifact to a specific project
         -

         Issues
         -

            Apache bintray cannot be used
            -

               Possibly, but involve infra for encrypting secrets
               -

            Artifacts to upload from the apache org challenging
            -

            Worst case setup arrow pmc packaging project
            -

      Upload to github directly?
      -

         Total size of all binaries?
         -

            Issue there?
            -

         LFS 2GB limit
         -

            Aneesh: very slow
            -

      Other options
      -

         Glacier?
         -

         Buckets?
         -

      Download all artifacts per release
      -

         Usable from github
         -

         Make sure there’s a way to list files
         -

         No-click workflow
         -

      Take crossbow for a spin
      -

      Nightly builds
      -

         Appveyor
         -

         Travis

Parent/Child Class Design Question

   -

   Arrays/Types both have a children list
   -

      Potential errors around assumptions about lists of children for
      arrays that do not have children
      -

   Non-nested types have empty vector, not necessary, perf hit but probably
   not apparent?
   -

   Nested type interface
   -

      Move the child data types to nested class?
      -

   ArrayData idea: POD for data

Parquet Arrow code

   -

   Circular dependency not ideal
   -

   Monorepo?
   -

   Duplicated build system code
   -

      Build scripts in a separate repo
      -

      Potentially more work?
      -

   Need to be careful about how we package scripts
   -

   Shared library of C++ code for apache projects?
   -

      Lots of build scripts, C++ code
      -

      Copypasted things in a few places
      -

   Potentially pull out memory pool
   -

   Mailing list thread about the circular dep issue and reduce build system
   dependency
   -

   Impala has copy pasted code from parquet-cpp apparently

Exceptions

   -

   Status codes potentially not C++
   -

   Uwe
   -

      Exceptions fail in weird ways with different compilers (not caught in
      some cases)
      -

   Josh
   -

      Status codes vs exceptions
      -

   Wes
   -

      Compromise on exceptions internally, and status codes in the public
      API
      -

   Phillip
   -

      Tool for checking for potentially uncaught exceptions

JavaScript PR: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/2035

   -

   JavaScript IPC writer
   -

   Streaming/File format
   -

   Needs help with alignment

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
Here's a new Hangout:

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.
Same

Posted by "Uwe L. Korn" <uw...@xhochy.com>.

Posted by Li Jin <ic...@gmail.com>.
I can't seem to get into the room. Anyone else in?

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.