Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/28 03:44:25 UTC

Fun with the survey

I finally got around to reading the survey.

I have a few observations about the obvious. We love jetty. Our users
do not. Our users love tomcat. We do not. One might feel motivated to
shift tests to tomcat, or add tests with tomcat ... except that we
don't get a lot of JIRum on plain tomcat.

The survey, on the other hand, reiterates the high pain level
associated with the big app servers that make it hard to get the
classpath right for CXF. I have no idea if we can do anything except
write more documentation.

More documentation would certainly be appreciated.

It looks like our close and personal relationship with Spring
continues to really inconvenience very few and serve the majority. I
wonder if we would want to invest energy in merely designing some
scheme to make Spring more removable to assist some volunteer in
working on it?

There are some WS-*'s that would make an impression.

Java-first issues sure attract the vocal if not the numerous.

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
I is still *excited* </borat>

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday 29 September 2010 6:28:52 pm Christian Schneider wrote:
>   I really like the osgi concept of services. So I think we could simply
> register services for e.g. the bindings and transports in osgi.
> For non osgi environments we could create a simple service registry that
> serves the same purpose.

That's really all the Bus is.  It's really completely misnamed.   The Bus
really just provides 3 things:

1) Registry of registries - all of the XXXXXManagers are stuck on here so
there is a place  for things to query them as needed.

2) Place for application level interceptors to be registered.  Kind of a
"global for the app" set of interceptors.   Logging is common at this level.

3) Place for application level properties.  (this is relatively new.  I think
added in 2.2.3 or somewhere there about)

That's really all it is.

> Camel has the concept of a registry that can be
> implemented using spring or without spring. That probably serves pretty
> much the same purpose. So perhaps we could create something like this.

That's what we have today.   We have the "normal" case which results in a Bus
that uses Spring context for lookups of services and such.   We also have the
ExtensionManager stuff for the non-spring case.

> The nice thing about osgi services is that you don´t need a special
> concept like an extensionmanagerbus. You simply register services that
> implement for example
> an interface ConduitInitiator  and then you can simply lookup all of
> these or even have properties to refine a search.
>
> Any thoughts about that?

That's pretty much the point of an OSGIExtensionManager for the Bus.   It
would just look in the OSGi registry for whatever extensions it can find that
match the criteria.

The TRICKY part is how we would/can support some of the stuff that falls on
application level things.   For example, we currently allow setting things
like work queue sizes and such in config and the WorkQueueManager would pick
those up.   If the WorkQueueManager is now registered as a more "global" OSGi
service, it may not be possible to configure those on an application level.

We may also need to modify some API's to support these better.  For example,
right now, the ConduitInitiators hold onto the Bus they are registered on so
that when they need to configure a conduit, they can grab the configuration
manager thing from the bus.  (and the Bus needs to be passed to the Conduit as
well).   That prevents a singleton ConduitInitiator (that may be registered as
a service) from being usable with multiple buses.   Thus, various API's may
need to be updated to have the bus passed along instead of injected in.   Not
a BAD thing, but something we need to be aware of and it does affect various
API's.

Dan

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
  I really like the osgi concept of services. So I think we could simply
register services for e.g. the bindings and transports in osgi.
For non osgi environments we could create a simple service registry that
serves the same purpose. Camel has the concept of a registry that can be

----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

AW: Fun with the survey

Posted by Oliver Wulff <ol...@sopera.com>.
+1 for simplified OSGI integration

Oli

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Guillaume Sauthier <Gu...@objectweb.org>.

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

----------------------------------
Open Source Integration: http://www.fusesource.com
          http://jnn.javaeye.com (Chinese)
Twitter: http://twitter.com/willemjiang

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <TR...@progress.com>.
+1 for an osgibus!

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
I'm one of the ones passionately hating spring-dm.

I'd be very very very happy to remove spring.
I'd also be more than happy to remove spring since it has gone from
"Hey this is great for devs" to let us re-invent every wheel out there.

Count me in.

/je

Re: Fun with the survey

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
  A regular scheme at companies that I have seen is running the tests in
Jetty and the production system on tomcat.
So I guess having the test in Jetty is some kind of best practice even
when tomcat is used later.

Trying to remove spring is something that many frameworks try nowadays.
The problem is that this usually means that they
code their own di stack. I don´t think that makes life much easier in
the end. If we manage to replace spring by something very simple
that works in pure java that would be a good idea. I can not judge
though how feasible this is.

Regards

Christian