Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by David Anderson <da...@dmaassociates.co.uk> on 2005/03/17 16:59:39 UTC

Log4Net only for the committed techies

Hi,

I have been following log4net-users for quite a while (and even had a
couple of abortive efforts to get it working) and it strikes me that
this is something which (at the moment) is only for the highly
competent techies.

If you go to the Apache log4net site you are presented with very
little information on how to get it working (in a simple format), and
if you follow the link to download you get 1.2 beta 8 which is almost
2 years old. On installation the samples are useless (why for goodnes
sake have Java examples??)

On joining the mailing list you find that unless you are fluent in CVS
and Nant you can't get any later release.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!

Sorry for the rant - just frustrated after trying yet again after a
layoff into PHP to get logging in .Net applications.

Perhaps time for a look at NLog again...

--
Best regards,
 David                          mailto:david@dmaassociates.co.uk

Re: Log4Net only for the committed techies

Posted by Oliver Sturm <ol...@sturmnet.org>.
David Anderson wrote:

>I have been following log4net-users for quite a while (and even had a
>couple of abortive efforts to get it working) and it strikes me that
>this is something which (at the moment) is only for the highly
>competent techies.

Have you had a look at the samples at
examples/net/1.0/Tutorials/ConsoleApp (in the zip file)? There are
"normal" .csproj project files that you can open in Visual Studio and
the sample shows all the basics you should need to get started.

Maybe it would be a good idea to write an article explaining the
necessary steps to do this... I'm thinking about it...

               Oliver Sturm
--
omnibus ex nihilo ducendis sufficit unum
Spaces inserted to prevent google email destruction: