Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Gelmetti Loris <Lo...@advesco.com> on 2001/09/21 09:35:11 UTC

socket write error

Hello

We have installed Tomcat 3.2.3 with JDK 1.3.2.
The server is Windows 2000 and IIS 5.0.

We want to test our projects with Internet Explorer 5.5  Often we get the
error message "socket write error". After about 100 or more socket write
errors Tomcat stops working.

Can you help us?

Thanks!

Bye
Loris Gelmetti

Re: socket write error

Posted by horwat <Ju...@Sun.com>.
The error occurs when a socket connection between a server and client is
broken. A browser, for instance, establishes a connection the the server and
it remains open until the server sends a response. If the browser for
whatever reason closes the connection before the server response is
complete, you will see this error.

This is a know problem since IE closes the socket on http/1.0 connections
when getting the headers. This is a "feature" (bug) that may save bandwidth
but causes the socket reset error messages.

If you use Tomcat 4.0 or Netscape, that should fix your problem. Tomcat 4.0
uses http/1.1. Netscape's implementation works as outlined in the http
specs.

Justy