Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu> on 2020/10/09 14:54:15 UTC

failed-to-read failures in precommit

Hey All!

Lately some interesting error started to appear in precommit runs as "TEST-org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.split0.TestMiniLlapLocalCliDriver.xml.[failed-to-read]"
see [1] for an example.

I've digged into it - and it was caused by a failed test (it was acid_stats2 in the one I was looking into) which could happen.
But the resulting junit xml is malformed because of some surefire issue (I've opened [2] to investiaget it). The junit result xml writing is essentially interrupted in the
middle...

...and in the end for some reason jenkins doesn't consider the read failure "serious enough" to change the state to yellow...so in the end the test results are green.

I'm trying to upgrade surefire to 3.0.0-M5 - but I'm a bit skeptical that it will solve the problem..

The best would be to fix this issue - however if that doesnt seem to be easy; I'll add some hack to at least fail the build in these cases.

cheers,
Zoltan

[1] http://ci.hive.apache.org/job/hive-precommit/job/master/274/testReport/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SUREFIRE-1852