Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/05 19:00:08 UTC

Move Wookie to the Attic?

In our recent reports to the ASF Board we’ve raised the possibility of Wookie moving to the Attic[1], given we haven’t been able to grow our community over the past two years.

I think now is as good a time as any to make that decision, and so I’m proposing we recommend that the Board moves Wookie to the Attic in our report this month.

When a project moves to the Attic it means it is no longer being actively developed at ASF; however the code remains available for anyone using it, and if anyone wishes to take the code and make use of it outside of ASF (e.g. creating a fork) they are very welcome to do so.

However, there will be no further official ASF releases unless the project is “rebooted” by putting it back into the Incubator to build a new community around it.

There is no urgency in this as we still have enough PMC members to vote on releases, and none of us are actively withdrawing, so if anyone does object to the idea of moving Wookie to the Attic please speak up. If anyone in the community wants to take the project forwards that would be very welcome!

[1] http://attic.apache.org/ <http://attic.apache.org/>

Re: Move Wookie to the Attic?

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 2015-10-05 19:11, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thanks Scott,
>
> I recommend the board report for this month indicate that there is a discussion thread underway (this one) and that we will vote and act before the next reporting session.
>
> That gives us a whole quarter to ensure this is the right thing for the project.
>
> For what it is worth I’m +0 on the proposal. There are more than three active PMC members (from an oversight perspective), but it seems no development is underway as you say. If there are users out there who want to keep the project alive now is the time to step up.

Same here, +0 for now.

Ate

Re: Move Wookie to the Attic?

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
> On 6 Oct 2015, at 10:19, Sharples, Paul <p....@bolton.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On 05/10/2015 19:11, Scott Wilson wrote:
>>> On 5 Oct 2015, at 18:11, Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Scott,
>>>
>>> I recommend the board report for this month indicate that there is a discussion thread underway (this one) and that we will vote and act before the next reporting session.
>> Good call.
>>
>>> That gives us a whole quarter to ensure this is the right thing for the project.
>>>
>>> For what it is worth I’m +0 on the proposal. There are more than three active PMC members (from an oversight perspective), but it seems no development is underway as you say. If there are users out there who want to keep the project alive now is the time to step up.
>> I’ve been contacting developers who’ve been mentioning the project in recent events - not many, but there are a few, and it would be good to give them an opportunity to get involved. I’m happy to mentor anyone who wants to take an active role in steering the project.
>
> I'm guessing that Scotts Idea to try to get new engagement into the project is a good one, hopefully we can find some developers before we to decide to move wookie into the attic or not.

Ankit and Rima should have just joined us on the list - maybe they can introduce themselves and say how they would see Wookie developing..?

Re: Move Wookie to the Attic?

Posted by "Sharples, Paul" <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.

Re: Move Wookie to the Attic?

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.