Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@apache.org> on 2009/10/01 08:09:54 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Simplifying our current SVN Structure

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:50 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The current SVN layout is a bit unconventional but its been like this
>> for years now, I don't mind much what happens with the other sub
>> projects as they don't have many users but there's lots of people who
>> are used to where the SCA code is who get broken if we move it, so
>> could we leave those as-is and just add a README at the top level
>> documenting what all the SVN folders are for?
>>

> Being broken for years it's not a reason not to fix it now. I have
> gotten feedback from various people that the structure is
> unconventional and hard to navigate trough. Even I have problems these
> days trying to find things on the svn. The reorganization would also
> make more clear what sub-projects are present in Tuscany and would
> group together all it's related artifacts, branches and tags, making
> it much easier for new members to find the places that interest them.
>
> As for getting it broken, I was planning to send detailed notification
> to both user and dev list, and post some instructions on the blog on
> how the changes affects current Tuscany contributors and how they can
> use svn to redirect their local checkouts to the new code location.
>
> Also, from this discussion thread, it looks like the community was
> getting consensus on what and how to do it...  with other members
> volunteering to help with the efforts.

Its not broken, what we have works. If we move the SCA locations we
will break people. Emailing the mailing lists wont change that as not
everyone reads the lists regularly and IIRC when moving from the
incubator svn the svn redirects didn't work well.

We could simplify the current layout a bit by tidying
up/rearranging/deleting some files and folders and that would be good
to do. But some things such as the tags we can't move without breaking
lots of historical links in documentation emails, articles etc.

How about starting with small steps by tidying up the easy things
first which we can change without breaking anything and seeing what
sort of improvement that gives?

   ...ant

Re: [DISCUSS] Simplifying our current SVN Structure

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
+1 to do so, probably during a weekend.

Thanks,
Raymond
Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino
<js...@apache.org> wrote:
> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> Done. The new structure follows the description on the Wiki [1] and is
> similar to what has been done for the Java projects:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/das-cpp/
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-cpp/
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sdo-cpp/
>
> and under each directory:
> branches/
> tags/
> trunk/
>
> I've left a few cpp tags under:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/tags/
>
> I think they can be removed as they're just interim release candidate tags
> and the final release tags are available in the new structure, if anybody
> has time to do it later this week...

Thanks Sebastien, I have also cleaned up the interim release candidate
tags you have mentioned.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:32 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Ok by me. I don't have any big changes outstanding at the moment.
>
> Simon

Done. I have also updated Website, 2.x development guide and posted in
Tuscany blog a summary of the recent changes.

Please let me know if you find any issues, I'll keep a close eye to
the list in the next couple hours/days just in case...

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm done with the big check-in. Feel free to move the svn repo for 2.x trunk
> now :-).

Others ?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
I'm more keen on the tidy up than Ant but I too would like to
concentrate on the functional rather than the aesthetic at the moment.
At least until we have a good proportion of the conformance work done.

Regards

Simon

Re: [DISCUSS] Simplifying our current SVN Structure

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Who are the people that blindly check out our source code without reading
>> our web sites or mailing list? Do we reference the svn directories in our
>> releases?
>>
>> If people find a svn directory doesn't exist any more, they can just simply
>> do one of the following:
>>
>> 1) Check our web site (We should add a "Source Code" to left panel on our
>> home page)
>> 2) Browse http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany (The proposed new
>> subfolders are self-explanatory).
>> 3) Ask on the Tuscany dev or user ML
>>
>> If we like the new structure technically, let's do it. +1 from me.
>>

> Looks like various people were in agreement to clean up our SVN
> structure to make things a little more organized and bring related
> resources together. I was thinking if we could do this and be ready
> for ApacheCon (sometime before end of the month)...
>
> Thoughts ?

I'm still not keen, and I don't see whats wrong with just doing some
minor cleanup and adding a README to to the top of SVN which should be
enough to make it clear for anyone. Moves like you're suggesting _are_
going to be disruptive, we've a ton of stuff to do that really will
make a difference such as all spec conformance work, and i think it
would be better to get that type of thing done for ApacheCon.

   ...ant

Re: [DISCUSS] Simplifying our current SVN Structure

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.