Posted to dev@whirr.apache.org by Karel Vervaeke <ka...@outerthought.org> on 2012/02/21 16:10:24 UTC

install_oab_java considered harmful

I'm not a big fan of the install_oab_java.sh thing to be honest
   30 Sorry that I didn't express this earlier, I couldn't put my finger on it.
30 It's a security liability: It requires pulling from two github
repos who are only controlled by the individuals who own the
repository.
If they decide to slip in maliscious stuff, everybody installing java
via those scripts is going to be affected.
It would be (slightly) better if we forked the repository (e.g. under
the apache github account, but I doubt the infrastructure for that is
up).
And possibly even better if the actual commands were embedded in whirr
(rather than fetched from external sources at runtime)
Even if the owners don't have malicious intentions, chances are
they'll update their scripts, possibly breaking whirr in the proces
(without even knowing they are breaking anything)

WDYT?

Regards,
Karel
--
Karel Vervaeke
http://outerthought.org/

Re: install_oab_java considered harmful

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
I agree. Let's find a better / more secure way of installing the Oracle JDK
- that would fix all the problems we are seeing.

Anyone willing to port InstallJDK.fromURL() from jclouds 1.4.0? Any other
ideas?