Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Eric <er...@dmcontact.com> on 2004/06/16 01:04:27 UTC

FreeBSD 4.10 ports change that affects Storable

Hi,

I was just reminded of this happening and thought it might be useful to people here since lots of people like me use Storable for persistence with mod_perl.

FreeBSD 4.10 changed the way Perl is compiled in the ports collection. They added the use64bitint flag which was not there before. That led to some issues with Storable that the Storable perldoc goes into in a lot of detail. It was all one big adventure until I found that out about the ports change. We never had a problem with Storable working across different databases on different machines until this happened. I just thought it might be a good warning to put out.. You will end up with the version errors that the perldoc talks about. See 64 bit data in perl 5.6.0 and 5.6.1

I ended up just removing the use64bitint and did a make deinstall make clean etc...
But I guess in the sprit of my last post I really should make a conversion program to load the old Storable data and re-write it with the new. Otherwise the next FreeBSD update could lead to a headache... :)

Thanks,

Eric