Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/14 17:53:59 UTC

[VOTE] add a pre-commit hook to check for JIRA references

For those who didn't follow the recent discussion, I recently raised
the issue of our poor use of JIRA and inclusion of JIRA references
within svn commit log messages. A quick check of the prior 3 months
commits showed barely over 30% of them had a JIRA reference, which is
far lower than it should have been.

During the discussion I suggested we add a pre-commit hook to enforce
use of JIRA references where appropriate. One suggestion I made was
that this would block all commits that don't have a Qpid JIRA
reference unless they instead contained eg 'NO-JIRA', which could be
used to bypass the hook on demand. Any commit which failed to meet
these cases would be rejected with a message alerting the committer
how to resolve the issue, i.e. include a JIRA reference if appropriate
or signal their intent to bypass the requirement. This means noone
would ever be prevented from committing what they want when they want,
but still removes the possibility of JIRA references being left out
due to merely forgetting them, and means that if/when we later review
the commits we can identify where people have chosen to purposely
bypass the requirement.

I haven't seen any objections to such a system, but to ensure everyone
gets a say I wanted to call this vote to establish the way forward. As
per indication at http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html the
vote will be conducted on a majority rules basis, and I propose that
the vote is open equally to all committers and not just PMC members.
The vote will close at 5pm GMT on Thursday 17th February (i.e. approx
72hrs from now).

Please reply with your +1 / -1 vote, or cross one of the boxes below:

[  ] +1,  I accept the proposal and vote to add the svn pre-commit
hook as outlined above.
[  ] -1,  I reject the proposal and vote not to add the svn pre-commit
hook outlined above.

Regards,
Robbie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] add a pre-commit hook to check for JIRA references

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.
> [X] +1,  I accept the proposal and vote to add the svn pre-commit
> hook as outlined above.
> [ ] -1,  I reject the proposal and vote not to add the svn pre-
> commit hook outlined above.

+1, then.

Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate ;
-- http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ? edinburgh : +44 7582 293 255 ;

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
[X] +1,  I accept the proposal and vote to add the svn pre-commit
hook as outlined above.

-K

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
+1  but I would like to see a crisper definition of the proposal:

Commits are rejected unless the commit comment contains a valid
QPID-<number> Jira reference OR 'NO-JIRA'.  A Jira reference is valid if
it references an existing issue in the Qpid project.

-Ted

Posted by Kim van der Riet <ki...@redhat.com>.
+1

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] add a pre-commit hook to check for JIRA references

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
+1

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Martin Ritchie

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
+1

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] add a pre-commit hook to check for JIRA references

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
Robbie,

Thanks for driving this. I can't do two commits without flubbing the JIRA reference.

-Chuck

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 16:53 +0000, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> I haven't seen any objections to such a system, but to ensure everyone
> gets a say I wanted to call this vote to establish the way forward. As
> per indication at http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html the
> vote will be conducted on a majority rules basis, and I propose that
> the vote is open equally to all committers and not just PMC members.
> The vote will close at 5pm GMT on Thursday 17th February (i.e. approx
> 72hrs from now).
>
> Please reply with your +1 / -1 vote, or cross one of the boxes below:

+1

Andrew

Posted by mick <mg...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 16:53 +0000, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

> block all commits that don't have a Qpid JIRA
> reference unless they instead contained eg 'NO-JIRA'

+1    for that ^^^

hard to argue with this one...

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.