Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Victor Engmark <vi...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/20 14:33:13 UTC

Check out repository with encoded characters

How would you check out a repository created with the command
$ svnadmin create "æ ø å"
via HTTP(S)?

I've tried the following:
$ svn co "https://example.org/svn/æ ø å"
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/%C3%A6%20%C3%B8%20%C3%A5'
svn: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

This works fine for other repositories:
$ svnadmin create "a b c"
$ svn co "https://example.org/svn/a b c"
Checked out revision 0.

My shell uses UTF-8 encoding:
$ set | grep LANG
GDM_LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

--
Victor Engmark

Re: Check out repository with encoded characters

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
> > I've got an even newer version, and it still doesn't work:
> > $ svn --version
> > svn, version 1.4.4 (r25188)
> >    compiled Sep 28 2007, 10:50:44
>
> Victor, 1.4.4 is the version of Subversion. But the bug was in APR,
> of which the latest version is 1.2.12.
>
> If I understand Erik correctly: 1) The bug in APR < 1.2.12 and its
> fix in APR 1.2.12 apparently only affected Mac OS X. 2) On Windows,
> APR already worked correctly, there was no bug so no fix was needed.
> 3) There is no solution at this time for Linux and other Unix-like
> OSes. Please correct me if I misunderstood.

You're correct with the exception of the required APR version number:
APR < 1.2.10 work incorrectly and only affect Mac OS X, 1.2.10+ work
correctly on Windows *and* Mac; no version works without LANG= setting
on other Unix systems.

Bye,

Erik.

Re: Check out repository with encoded characters

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Victor Engmark <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 3/26/08, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2008, at 04:58, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>
> >> I used "svnadmin create foo" and then in the Finder I renamed "foo"
> >> to "æ ø å" (since I don't know how to type non-ASCII characters in
> >> the Terminal). Viewed in Firefox, I see:
> >>
> >> Collection of Repositories
> >>
> >>     * æ ø å/
> >>
> >> Clicking this gives me:
> >>
> >> http://www.example.com/svn/%c3%a6%20%c3%b8%20a%cc%8a/
> >>
> >> And I get:
> >>
> >> Revision 0: /
> >>
> >> Powered by Subversion version 1.4.6 (r28521).
> >>
> >> No problem.
> >
> > Well, my answer actually didn't apply to Mac and Windows: they both
> > define their filesystem interface to be Unicode (in whatever form).
> > Though I'm actually surprised to see it work with your Mac (because of
> > a bug in APR): which APR version do you have there?
>
> $ port installed subversion apr apr-util
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   apr @1.2.12_1+universal (active)
>   apr-util @1.2.12_0+no_bdb+no_sqlite+universal (active)
>   subversion @1.4.6_0+mod_dav_svn+no_bdb+tools+universal (active)

Ah. That's it: the bug I'm referring to got fixed in 1.2.10; I see
you're using 1.2.12, meaning that Subversion doesn't need locale
settings anymore on MacOSX (LANG=) to correctly interoperate with the
filesystem. (It does still require it for printing to your terminal, I
think.)

HTH,

Erik.

Re: Check out repository with encoded characters

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

$

Re: Check out repository with encoded characters

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Smith-Mannschott <bs...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 27, 2008, at 09:05, Victor Engmark wrote:
> Works fine on a Mac. So, get a Mac to serve your repositories.
>
> I used "svnadmin create foo" and then in the Finder I renamed "foo"
> to "æ ø å" (since I don't know how to type non-ASCII characters in
> the Terminal). Viewed in Firefox, I see:
>
> Collection of Repositories
>
>     * æ ø å/
>
> Clicking this gives me:
>
> http://www.example.com/svn/%c3%a6%20%c3%b8%20a%cc%8a/
>
> That's odd - It looks like "å" is translated to "a%cc%8a", which is
> different from my result, "%C3%A5".

Ta da!  welcome to the wonderful world of unicode normalization!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_normalization

Specifically, NFD (Enforced by conversion by the Mac filesystem)
versus everything else, which tends to use NFC without actually
enforcing it.

// Ben

Re: Check out repository with encoded characters

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 3/27/08, Victor Engmark <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Ryan Schmidt
> <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> > > That's correct. I'm not aware of a way to make Apache locale aware.
> > > Unfortunately, that's what's required for Subversion to work with
> > > non-ascii paths to a repository.
> >
> > Works fine on a Mac. So, get a Mac to serve your repositories.
> >
> > I used "svnadmin create foo" and then in the Finder I renamed "foo"
> > to "æ ø å" (since I don't know how to type non-ASCII characters in
> > the Terminal). Viewed in Firefox, I see:
> >
> > Collection of Repositories
> >
> >     * æ ø å/
> >
> > Clicking this gives me:
> >
> > http://www.example.com/svn/%c3%a6%20%c3%b8%20a%cc%8a/
> >

> That's odd - It looks like "å" is translated to "a%cc%8a", which is
> different from my result, "%C3%A5".

What you're seeing is the difference between how Linux/Windows and Mac
encode Unicode. This is one of the problems I'm trying to solve as we
speak.

Bye,

Erik.

Re: Check out repository with encoded characters

Posted by Victor Engmark <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Victor Engmark <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
<su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

>  On Mar 21, 2008, at 01:54, Victor Engmark wrote:
>

>  > On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>  >
>  >> On Mar 20, 2008, at 09:33, Victor Engmark wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> How would you check out a repository created with the command
>  >>> $ svnadmin create "æ ø å"
>  >>> via HTTP(S)?
>  >>>
>  >>> I've tried the following:
>  >>> $ svn co "https://example.org/svn/æ ø å"
>  >>> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/%C3%A6%20%C3%B8%20%C3%A5'
>  >>> svn: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem
>  >>>
>  >>> This works fine for other repositories:
>  >>> $ svnadmin create "a b c"
>  >>> $ svn co "https://example.org/svn/a b c"
>  >>> Checked out revision 0.
>  >>>
>  >>> My shell uses UTF-8 encoding:
>  >>> $ set | grep LANG
>  >>> GDM_LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>  >>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>  >>
>  >>  If this is a set of repositories served using SVNParentPath, then
>  >>  browse to https://example.org/svn in a web browser and copy the link
>  >>  to the æ ø å repository.
>  >
>  > I don't have a web interface to the server (I get a "403: Forbidden"
>  > message at https://example.org/svn).
>
>  Add "SVNListParentPath on" to your Apache configuration.

And disable authentication.

Bye,

Erik.

Re: Check out repository with encoded characters

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Victor Engmark <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.