Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> on 2024/04/30 12:35:14 UTC

[REVIVE][DISCUSS] Closing issues & PR after a certain time

People,
I want to revive this discussion and bring Vishesh' PR under your
attention again.
The discussion there is mostly about the length of the period before closing.
So here I am going to state 1year - first warning, 1.5years second
warning, 2 years closing. What do you all think?

There are also issues that we might consider interesting but not
functionally complete or clear, we can convert those to github
discussions, and I would like to encourage all of you to do that as
sometimes issues will lead to issues and not to PRs and those are
basically discussions to be had.

please respond with your comments or put them in

regards,

Re: [REVIVE][DISCUSS] Closing issues & PR after a certain time

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
I like the general idea but at the same time want to weight in that we also do the right thing in handle issues and PRs. Sometimes there are genuine issues and PRs, however, we make no progress on them for one reason or another.

As of last week, I've triaged all the outstanding Github issues that took some effort, and have tagged issues with the 1yr+ and 2yr+ tags and stale tags on all issues that are several years old now. I hope to not have incited negative reactions where I had to close about 50 odd issues which were really old, or already fixed, or moved a few of them to discussions. I see the value in having an automation to something around time based manner, esp for old issues and PRs that nobody cares about. Other opensource projects such as Kubernetes has similar automation.

Many issues are (a) user queries or questions about their deployment or environment, and not necessarily issues or problems in CloudStack which can be moved to Github discussions (which are connected to our users@ ML) and (b) many issues are user feature requests or suggestions which nobody has cared to address. For (a) I've proposed a PR to drive users by default to Github Discussions first via the CloudStack UI and we can triage and move such user discussions which are not really CloudStack issues from Github issues to discussions.

I think 2yrs+ is a reasonable time to close old/stale/inactive issues and PRs. And of course, anybody should be free to re-open or request to re-open and retain interesting issues and PRs on case by case basis.

It's also worth encouraging and reminding everyone that CloudStack is an opensource project where all stakeholders including the users can pitch in, help with engaging in the discussions, sharing steps to reproduce a problem, or effort/steps to help test a change/pull-request, to improve the website and documentation, as well as to review/test pull requests. This means, as much as the development activity we get, we can also benefit from users in helping to address their own problems (if not including code but also) including documentation, website etc. "What's in it for you?" - you care, because you benefit from the project and you want to keep benefiting from the project.

Regards.