Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Xavier Vanderstukken <xv...@ionicsoft.com> on 2005/11/05 11:13:44 UTC

Date pattern

I would like to retrieve the date format pattern according to the user
Locale.

I  do the following to retrieve the Struts Locale :
Locale
current=(Locale)this.pageContext.getSession().getAttribute(Globals.LOCALE_KEY);
if(current==null)
            current=Locale.US;

And now I would like to read something like : MM/DD/YYYY for US locale
or DD/MM/YYYY for FR.
How can I do that?

Re: Date pattern

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Xavier-
In that case I would suggest populate an item in Message_en_US.properties
such as
Date.Format = MM//DD//YYYY

and Message_fr_FR.properties contains your locale specific item for
formatting date
Date.Format = DD//MM//YYYY

then in your jsp..
     Locale locale=null;
     if (lang.equals("French"))
    {
         locale=Locale.FRANCE;
     }
    else
    {
         locale=Locale.US;
     }
/obtain the ResourceBundle for your locale
     ResourceBundle bundle =ResourceBundle.getBundle("Message",locale);
//iterate thru all items..
     for (Enumeration e = bundle.getKeys();e.hasMoreElements();)
     {
//obtain the key
         String key = (String)e.nextElement();
//get the string associated with the key value (from Resource Bundle)
         String s = bundle.getString(key);
         if (key.equals(new String("Date.Format")) )
         { //get a DateInstance
            DateFormat df = DateFormat.getDateInstance();
            //initialise to format specified from Resource Bundle
            Date mydate = df.parse(s);
            //put in proper output format for print
            output.println(df.format(mydate);
          }