Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> on 2013/05/02 09:38:37 UTC

[Discussion] Discontinue the ROLLBACK command in Solr?

Hi,

Many are confused about the rollback feature in Solr, since it cannot guarantee a rollback of updates from that client since last commit.

In my opinion it is pretty useless to have a rollback feature you cannot rely upon - Unless, that is, you are the only client for sure, having no autoCommit, and a huge RAMbuffer.

So why don't we simply deprecate the feature in 4.x and remove it from 5.0?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Re: [Discussion] Discontinue the ROLLBACK command in Solr?

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1, not a fan.

Also, doesn't work in SolrCloud either.

- Mark

Posted by "Dyer, James" <Ja...@ingramcontent.com>.
We use rollback (in conjunction with DIH) when doing full re-imports on a traditional "non-cloud" index.  As DIH first deletes all documents then adds them all, its handy for it to roll back its changes if something goes wrong.  Then the indexing node can simply return to service executing queries until the problem is solved, etc.

Would it be acceptable to retain rollback for non-cloud indexes that do not have atomic updates, etc enabled?  We could even put an "enable rollback" parameter in the config that is by default turned off so users can be made to think about it before turning it on, etc.

Of course, if rollback was removed, the workaround is to take a backup, then attempt reindex, then replace the backup on failure.  This is custom scripting that is currently done automatically.

James Dyer
Ingram Content Group
(615) 213-4311

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Cool.

I think also we'd need a new SolrDeletionPolicy which keeps at least the last explicit user COMMIT, even if Autocommit/CommitWithins have happened after.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

<va...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> good thing to clearly indicate to the user that it's not implemented for
>> tlog. What about log WARN/ERROR and/or throw an exception with explanation?
>>

>> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>wrote:
>>
>>> This does highlight that rollback is perfectly reasonable for embedded
>>> Solr or other "dedicated", single-node, well-controlled apps, even if it
>>> doesn't work for cloud.
>>>
>>> -- Jack Krupansky
>>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Mark Miller
>>> Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 1:09 PM
>>>
>>> To: dev@lucene.apache.org
>>> Subject: Re: [Discussion] Discontinue the ROLLBACK command in Solr?
>>>
>>> RAMbuffer doesn't affect this stuff - if you rollback, it rolls back to
>>> the last commit point. Flushed segments are fine.
>>>
>>> - Mark
>>>
>>> On May 9, 2013, at 12:54 PM, Mikhail Khludnev <

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: [Discussion] Discontinue the ROLLBACK command in Solr?

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> [...]

>> wrote:
>>
>>  Jan,
>>> Could you please clarify current rollback functionality to me? Let's I
>>> have autoCommit disabled, but my RAMbuffer is not huge, hence I have few
>>> flushes after previous commit. if I invoke rollback will it forget about
>>> flushed segments?
>>>

>>> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Many are confused about the rollback feature in Solr, since it cannot
>>> guarantee a rollback of updates from that client since last commit.
>>>
>>> In my opinion it is pretty useless to have a rollback feature you cannot
>>> rely upon - Unless, that is, you are the only client for sure, having no
>>> autoCommit, and a huge RAMbuffer.
>>>
>>> So why don't we simply deprecate the feature in 4.x and remove it from

Varun Thacker
http://www.vthacker.in/

Re: [Discussion] Discontinue the ROLLBACK command in Solr?

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
Mark,
thanks for confirming my feeling.

Hence, I ask for leaving it for "old-school" deployments. However, it's a
good thing to clearly indicate to the user that it's not implemented for
tlog. What about log WARN/ERROR and/or throw an exception with explanation?

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>wrote:

> This does highlight that rollback is perfectly reasonable for embedded
> Solr or other "dedicated", single-node, well-controlled apps, even if it
> doesn't work for cloud.
>
> -- Jack Krupansky
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Mark Miller
> Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 1:09 PM
>
> To: dev@lucene.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [Discussion] Discontinue the ROLLBACK command in Solr?
>
> RAMbuffer doesn't affect this stuff - if you rollback, it rolls back to
> the last commit point. Flushed segments are fine.
>
> - Mark
>
> On May 9, 2013, at 12:54 PM, Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Jan,
>> Could you please clarify current rollback functionality to me? Let's I
>> have autoCommit disabled, but my RAMbuffer is not huge, hence I have few
>> flushes after previous commit. if I invoke rollback will it forget about
>> flushed segments?
>>

>> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>
>> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Many are confused about the rollback feature in Solr, since it cannot
>> guarantee a rollback of updates from that client since last commit.
>>
>> In my opinion it is pretty useless to have a rollback feature you cannot
>> rely upon - Unless, that is, you are the only client for sure, having no
>> autoCommit, and a huge RAMbuffer.
>>
>> So why don't we simply deprecate the feature in 4.x and remove it from
>> 5.0?
>>
>> --
>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>> Solr Training - www.solrtraining.com

>> --
>> Sincerely yours
>> Mikhail Khludnev
>> Principal Engineer,
>> Grid Dynamics

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
Principal Engineer,
Grid Dynamics

<http://www.griddynamics.com>
 <mk...@griddynamics.com>

Re: [Discussion] Discontinue the ROLLBACK command in Solr?

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
Jan,