Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Yury Kats <yu...@yahoo.com> on 2012/07/12 15:50:18 UTC

multiValued false->true

I have an indexed, not stored, not multiValued field in the schema.

If I change this field to be multiValued, would I need to re-index
everything, or would all existing documents (that were indexed while
the field was not multiValued) still be queryable?

Thanks,
Yury

Re: multiValued false->true

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I have an indexed, not stored, not multiValued field in the schema.
:
: If I change this field to be multiValued, would I need to re-index
: everything, or would all existing documents (that were indexed while
: the field was not multiValued) still be queryable?

usually a change like this is fine ... the existing indexed
values will still be searchable.

when a change like this may not work the work the way you'd expect is
if you have some special plugin (like an update processor for example)
that changes behavior based on wether a field is multivalued or not --
your existing indexed values will still be there and still be searchable,
but the index you have may not be the same as the index you'd have if you
rebuilt from scratch after making the schema change.

-Hoss