Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Brill Pappin <br...@jmonkey.com> on 1999/11/20 00:18:00 UTC

Source Documentation

I just checked out the current version of the classes from the anon CVS
server...
I have to say, the commenting in most of the files is really bad. and makes
it impossible to generate any useful JavaDocs from the source files...

Commenting the method before its even implemented really makes you think
about what you are doing...

I suggest that proper javadoc comments should be part of the coding
guidlines, and actually be written...
that means that at least when something new goes in, the developer should
take 20 mins. and add the JavaDoc comments to the file.

This source is going to be around for a *long* time, and it will be
invaluble to some poor soul, 5 years from now (if not right this instant,
like myself), who comes in half way and needs to understand whats going
on... not to mention its value to the person who wrote the code, when they
have to go back to it, and figure out what etheral state their mind was in
at the time.

Truth be known, I expected much more from such a well rounded, and
experianced development group.

- Brill Pappin
  www.jmonkey.com

Re: Source Documentation

Posted by "Anil K. Vijendran" <An...@eng.sun.com>.
Brill, Craig et al.

We hear ya :-)

Internal documentation is one of those things that got slipped a bit given some
crazy schedules we've had to deal with this year.  Some internal re-org of this
stuff and the ApacheCon talk on Tomcat internals are intended to serve as
motivation to clean up and document some of this. It'll happen soon :-)

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)

Re: Source Documentation

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@jmonkey.com>.
Well, digging in and doing it ourselves is what's needed, I may be able to
help some...
I'm an experienced Java developer (including servlet and HTTP server) and
wouldn't mind putting some time in.

Actually, I'm surprised that the original code wasn't commented... but I
guess I shouldn't be, knowing Sun :)

- Brill Pappin
  www.jmonkey.com

Re: Source Documentation