Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Ed Judge <ej...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/04 02:41:15 UTC

Re: HDFS IO error

How do I check for bad blocks?  I am now seeing this quite regularly?  I have a unique Hadoop setup in that I have 1 local datanode.  In addition I am running the flume instance within a Docker container.
I have looked at the hadoop logs and don’t see anything but INFO messages.  What could be taking more than 10 seconds?

Thanks,
Ed

On Oct 30, 2014, at 9:14 PM, Ed Judge <ej...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Ed,
>>
>> Are you saying you resolved the problem with 1.5.0 or you still have an issue?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Asim Zafir.
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Ed Judge <ej...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the replies.  We are using 1.5.0.
>> My observation is that Flume retries automatically (without my intervention) and that no data is lost.
>> The impact is a) a delay of 10 seconds due to the timeout and b) a zero length file.
>>
>> -Ed
>>
>> On Oct 30, 2014, at 3:46 PM, Asim Zafir <as...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Please check if ur sinks i.e. hdfs data nodes that were receiving the writes are not having any bad blocks . Secondly I think you should also set hdfs roll interval or size to a higher value.  The reason this problem happens is because flume sink is not able to right to a data pipeline that was initially presented by hdfs. The solution in this case should be for hdfs to  initialize a new pipeline and present to flume. The hack currently Is to restart the flume process which then initializes a new hdfs pipeline enabling the sink to push backlogged events. There is a fix to this incorporated In flume 1.5 (i havent test it yet) but if u are on anything older the only way to make this work is restart the flume process
>>>
>>> On Oct 30, 2014 11:54 AM, "Ed Judge" <ej...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am running into the following problem.
>>>
>>> 30 Oct 2014 18:43:26,375 WARN  [SinkRunner-PollingRunner-DefaultSinkProcessor] (org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.HDFSEventSink.process:463)  - HDFS IO error
>>> java.io.IOException: Callable timed out after 10000 ms on file: hdfs://localhost:9000/tmp/dm/dm-1-19.1414694596209.ds.tmp
>>> 	at org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.BucketWriter.callWithTimeout(BucketWriter.java:732)
>>> 	at org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.BucketWriter.open(BucketWriter.java:262)
>>> 	at org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.BucketWriter.append(BucketWriter.java:554)
>>> 	at org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.HDFSEventSink.process(HDFSEventSink.java:426)
>>> 	at org.apache.flume.sink.DefaultSinkProcessor.process(DefaultSinkProcessor.java:68)
>>> 	at org.apache.flume.SinkRunner$PollingRunner.run(SinkRunner.java:147)
>>> 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
>>> Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException
>>> 	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:201)
>>> 	at org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.BucketWriter.callWithTimeout(BucketWriter.java:725)
>>> 	... 6 more
>>> 30 Oct 2014 18:43:27,717 INFO  [SinkRunner-PollingRunner-DefaultSinkProcessor] (org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.BucketWriter.open:261)  - Creating hdfs://localhost:9000/tmp/dm/dm-1-19.1414694596210.ds.tmp
>>> 30 Oct 2014 18:43:46,971 INFO  [agent-shutdown-hook] (org.apache.flume.lifecycle.LifecycleSupervisor.stop:79)  - Stopping lifecycle supervisor 10
>>>

>>> The following is my configuration.  The source is just a script running a curl command and downloading files from S3.

>>> a1.sinks = k1
>>> a1.channels = c1
>>>
>>> # Configure the source: STACK_S3
>>> a1.sources.r1.type = exec
>>> a1.sources.r1.command = ./conf/FlumeAgent.1.sh
>>> a1.sources.r1.channels = c1
>>>
>>> # Use a channel which buffers events in memory
>>> a1.channels.c1.type = memory
>>> a1.channels.c1.capacity = 1000000
>>> a1.channels.c1.transactionCapacity = 100
>>>
>>> # Describe the sink
>>> a1.sinks.k1.type = hdfs
>>> a1.sinks.k1.hdfs.path = hdfs://localhost:9000/tmp/dm
>>> a1.sinks.k1.hdfs.filePrefix = dm-1-20
>>> a1.sinks.k1.hdfs.fileSuffix = .ds
>>> a1.sinks.k1.hdfs.rollInterval = 0
>>> a1.sinks.k1.hdfs.rollSize = 0
>>> a1.sinks.k1.hdfs.rollCount = 0
>>> a1.sinks.k1.hdfs.fileType = DataStream
>>> a1.sinks.k1.serializer = TEXT
>>> a1.sinks.k1.channel = c1
>>> a1.sinks.k1.hdfs.minBlockReplicas = 1