Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Shazin Sadakath <sh...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/08 06:36:28 UTC

Regarding Stored Procedures

Hi All,

I have been working on an idea that lets you create Stored Procedures using
languages other than Java with a perspective of Apache Derby as a Network
Server. I tried this by using Sun Java Scripting API for JRE 1.6+ and Apache
BSF http://jakarta.apache.org/bsf/ for JRE 1.4+.

This has certain advantages when it comes to compiled java stored routines.

1. It is dynamic.
2. Requires no configuration of classpath.
3. Requires no use of SQLJ.INSTALL_JAR and SQLJ.REPLACE_JAR.
4. Very easy to maintain
5. Allows the use of Sun Java Runtime Library via Object Binding.
6. Supports JavaScript, Jython, Dynamic Java and many more scripting
languages. https://scripting.dev.java.net/
7. No need of introducing a new SQL/PSM grammar to the current SQLParser.

Just an idea in its very early stage. Would like to hear your responses.

Thanks,
Shazin

Re: Regarding Stored Procedures

Posted by Ян Программист <we...@gmail.com>.
I am searching sponsorship for some of them right now. You can apply &
in case of successful sponsorship from outside - participate (payed
job). So as I will one day...

Re: Regarding Stored Procedures

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Ян Программист wrote:
> You can hear mine responses if I will hear your responses about a
> proposal in attached doc
Hello Ян Программист,

Welcome! This is an interesting list of projects. Are you volunteering
to work on one of these?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: Regarding Stored Procedures

Posted by Ян Программист <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Shazin,

This sounds interesting. If you have a prototype that you are ready to
share, feel free to attach it to a JIRA. It would be helpful if you
could fill out a Contributor License Agreement, allowing the community
to use your contribution. See http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

Thanks,
-Rick