Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 1996/07/28 17:22:57 UTC

regex libs

Let's start a vote.

 o Should the included regex lib be used by default?

Although I can see the opposing point, I would vote -1. There are some
platforms with very robust regex implementations, and they should be
able to use them. I think that the OS sections in Configuration.tmpl
should, on a case-by-case basis determine if regex/libregex.a should
be linked in, with the default that it's not.

In any case, shouldn't the regex source be located in the support section,
unless, of course, we accept the responsibility of maintaining the
regex stuff. With the way it currently stands (it being in ./src and
used by default) we really do open ourselves to supporting not only
Apache but that as well. By moving it to support and using it only
when needed, we can work around that (and state that Apache requires
a robust POSIX/regex implementation. If your system doesn't have one,
add REGLIB=../support/regex/libregex.a to your entry in Configuration.tmpl
or you may use any implementation you'd like).

Makefile.tmpl can easily be modified to look for REGLIB and create it
if needed.

Re: regex libs

Posted by Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu>.
>In any case, shouldn't the regex source be located in the support section,
>unless, of course, we accept the responsibility of maintaining the
>regex stuff. With the way it currently stands (it being in ./src and
>used by default) we really do open ourselves to supporting not only
>Apache but that as well. By moving it to support and using it only
>when needed, we can work around that (and state that Apache requires
>a robust POSIX/regex implementation. If your system doesn't have one,
>add REGLIB=../support/regex/libregex.a to your entry in Configuration.tmpl
>or you may use any implementation you'd like).
>
>Makefile.tmpl can easily be modified to look for REGLIB and create it
>if needed.

Did anyone ever give much though to my idea about a modified Configuration
file that could require slightly less modifications.

Something where you could easily comment and uncomment sections of the code
without having to worry about other sections:

i.e.

<Add LIBS>-Lwherefer/regex
<Add LIBS>-lregex
<Add CFLAGS>-Iwherever
<Merge LIBS>
	-lndbm
</Merge>
</Remove LIBS>-lregex

They would perform like this:
	Add - simply adds contents to the end of the variable
	Merge - adds to contents of variable unless it already is in the
variable
	Remove - removes from variable

This way, sections for each architecture could just be a section that could
be uncommented, things like adding -DSTATUS for the status module could be
something like:

#
# Status Module - Uncoment the lines below to add support
#
# <Add CFLAGS> -DSTATUS
# Module mod_status   (whatever it is, not in front of me)
#

#
# Regex module
#
# <Add LDFLAGS) -Lwherever/regex
# <Add LIBS> -lregex
#

You get the idea... Something that would make it easier to do the config file.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org