Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Голиков Константин <go...@yandex.ru> on 2012/06/12 13:33:15 UTC

How to work around 'Daemon wants to run as ... but not running as that user or root.'

Hi! For some reasons I can't run hadoop using sudo (with root privileges), but I have heard that this is normal case when we issue start-all.sh and other scripts/commands as usual user. However, when I'm trying to start whole hadoop bundle with `start-all.sh` I've got that message for every component. Moreover, I have the same message even if I trying to do initial formatting of name node like `hadoop-0.20 namenode -format`.

I've seen a similar question on mailing list, that was solved by defining users (setting env variables) for components. But it doesn't helped me -- my hadoop-env.sh contains the following lines:

export HADOOP_NAMENODE_USER=namenode
export HADOOP_DATANODE_USER=datanode
export HADOOP_JOBTRACKER_USER=jobtracker
export HADOOP_TASKTRACKER_USER=tasktracker
export HADOOP_SECONDARYNAMENODE_USER=namenode

and this users presented in system, e.g.:

less /etc/passwd | grep namenode
namenode:x:59977:59977::/home/namenode:/bin/sh

What can I do to solve that problem?