Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/10/18 23:10:57 UTC

Managing docs with hadoop-1 & hadoop-2

Folks,

 Currently http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/ points to hadoop-1. With hadoop-2 going GA, should we just point that to hadoop-2?

 Couple of options:
 # Have stable1/stable2 links:
   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1 -> hadoop-1.x
   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2 -> hadoop-2.x

 # Just point stable to hadoop-2 and create something new for hadoop-1:
   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/hadoop1 -> hadoop-1.x
   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable -> hadoop-2.x

We have similar requirements for *current* link too.

Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Managing docs with hadoop-1 & hadoop-2

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hey folks,

I've been seeing some reports about search results for Hadoop being broken
because stable now points to the v2 docs, where a lot of stuff has moved
around.

e.g.

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/fair_scheduler.html (404, first result
on google for "hadoop fair scheduler")
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1/fair_scheduler.html (works)
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/FairScheduler.html
(location
of new YARN page)

Any chance we can reconsider this? It's kind of a pain for anyone who's
linked to Hadoop docs. I agree that semantically, v2 should have the stable
pointer, but Cool URIs Don't Change [1].

Thanks,
Andrew

[1] http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hey folks,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hey folks,

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
On Oct 18, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Currently http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/ points to hadoop-1. With
>> hadoop-2 going GA, should we just point that to hadoop-2?
>>
>> Couple of options:
>> # Have stable1/stable2 links:
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2 -> hadoop-2.x
>>

> +1,   would also make:
> current -> stable2    (since v2 is the latest)
> stable -> stable1     (for compatibility)

Let's point stable -> stable2 & current to current2 (for e.g. 2.3 in future).

This way we all look ahead. Makes sense?

thanks,
Arun

> Thanks,
> Eli
>

> # Just point stable to hadoop-2 and create something new for hadoop-1:
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/hadoop1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable -> hadoop-2.x
>>
>> We have similar requirements for *current* link too.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Arun
>>
>> --
>> Arun C. Murthy
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
On Oct 18, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Currently http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/ points to hadoop-1. With
>> hadoop-2 going GA, should we just point that to hadoop-2?
>>
>> Couple of options:
>> # Have stable1/stable2 links:
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2 -> hadoop-2.x
>>

> +1,   would also make:
> current -> stable2    (since v2 is the latest)
> stable -> stable1     (for compatibility)

Let's point stable -> stable2 & current to current2 (for e.g. 2.3 in future).

This way we all look ahead. Makes sense?

thanks,
Arun

> Thanks,
> Eli
>

> # Just point stable to hadoop-2 and create something new for hadoop-1:
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/hadoop1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable -> hadoop-2.x
>>
>> We have similar requirements for *current* link too.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Arun
>>
>> --
>> Arun C. Murthy
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
>>>   # Have stable1/stable2 links:
>>>    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>>    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2 -> hadoop-2.x
>> +1,   would also make:
>> current -> stable2    (since v2 is the latest)
>> stable -> stable1     (for compatibility)
>
> +1, Eli's proposal looks good to me.
>
> - Tsuyoshi

+1 to Eli's proposal.

Thanks,
Akira

Re: Managing docs with hadoop-1 & hadoop-2

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
>>>   # Have stable1/stable2 links:
>>>    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>>    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2 -> hadoop-2.x
>> +1,   would also make:
>> current -> stable2    (since v2 is the latest)
>> stable -> stable1     (for compatibility)
>
> +1, Eli's proposal looks good to me.
>
> - Tsuyoshi

+1 to Eli's proposal.

Thanks,
Akira

Re: Managing docs with hadoop-1 & hadoop-2

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
>>>   # Have stable1/stable2 links:
>>>    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>>    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2 -> hadoop-2.x
>> +1,   would also make:
>> current -> stable2    (since v2 is the latest)
>> stable -> stable1     (for compatibility)
>
> +1, Eli's proposal looks good to me.
>
> - Tsuyoshi

+1 to Eli's proposal.

Thanks,
Akira

Re: Managing docs with hadoop-1 & hadoop-2

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
>>>   # Have stable1/stable2 links:
>>>    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>>    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2 -> hadoop-2.x
>> +1,   would also make:
>> current -> stable2    (since v2 is the latest)
>> stable -> stable1     (for compatibility)
>
> +1, Eli's proposal looks good to me.
>
> - Tsuyoshi

+1 to Eli's proposal.

Thanks,
Akira

Re: Managing docs with hadoop-1 & hadoop-2

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
On Oct 18, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Currently http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/ points to hadoop-1. With
>> hadoop-2 going GA, should we just point that to hadoop-2?
>>
>> Couple of options:
>> # Have stable1/stable2 links:
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2 -> hadoop-2.x
>>

> +1,   would also make:
> current -> stable2    (since v2 is the latest)
> stable -> stable1     (for compatibility)

Let's point stable -> stable2 & current to current2 (for e.g. 2.3 in future).

This way we all look ahead. Makes sense?

thanks,
Arun

> Thanks,
> Eli
>

> # Just point stable to hadoop-2 and create something new for hadoop-1:
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/hadoop1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable -> hadoop-2.x
>>
>> We have similar requirements for *current* link too.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Arun
>>
>> --
>> Arun C. Murthy
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
On Oct 18, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Currently http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/ points to hadoop-1. With
>> hadoop-2 going GA, should we just point that to hadoop-2?
>>
>> Couple of options:
>> # Have stable1/stable2 links:
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2 -> hadoop-2.x
>>

> +1,   would also make:
> current -> stable2    (since v2 is the latest)
> stable -> stable1     (for compatibility)

Let's point stable -> stable2 & current to current2 (for e.g. 2.3 in future).

This way we all look ahead. Makes sense?

thanks,
Arun

> Thanks,
> Eli
>

> # Just point stable to hadoop-2 and create something new for hadoop-1:
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/hadoop1 -> hadoop-1.x
>>   http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable -> hadoop-2.x
>>
>> We have similar requirements for *current* link too.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Arun
>>
>> --
>> Arun C. Murthy
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
>  Currently http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/ points to hadoop-1. With hadoop-2 going GA, should we just point that to hadoop-2?
>
>  Couple of options:
>  # Have stable1/stable2 links:
>    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable1 -> hadoop-1.x
>    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2 -> hadoop-2.x

+1 to this option.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Managing docs with hadoop-1 & hadoop-2

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.