Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Sam Benz <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/29 22:02:02 UTC

Re: POS MSR problems on WinXP

Jeff Burton wrote:
> For the record (and anyone using a POS terminal as slow as the one I'm
> using), the problem was solved by increasing MaxWaitKeyboard in
> jpos.properties. The complete string from the MSR wasn't received in a
> single event so the logic wasn't recognizing it as an MSR swipe.
>
> On Dec 3, 2007, at 6:12 AM, Jeff Burton wrote:
>
>> I'm having a problem with using Mag Stripe Readers on a Windows XP
>> deployment of the OFBiz POS. While I can observe the proper behavior
>> on other platforms, on WinXP it seems the data isn't getting captured
>> and waiting when paymentEvents.payCredit is run. I can swipe a card
>> in a text editor and various MSR's give the correct data, and the
>> same readers work in Linux or MacOSX.
>>
>> I 'm using both an ID Tech USB MSR using ID Tech's JavaPOS driver and
>> a Magtek USB device with the GenericMSR driver. When installed on
>> Windows they show up as HID's and Keyboard's in the Windows Device
>> Manager. I suspect there's some setting in WinXP/Java/OFBiz I'm
>> missing which allows the data to flow through to the Msr object.

You may want to try setting up the usb device to emulate a seriel device
ie COM2 and changing the settings in jpos.xml to reflect the changes in
the device settings.

RE: POS MSR problems on WinXP

Posted by Christopher L <cl...@hotmail.com>.
In my limited but firsthand experience, MSRs that emulate a keyboard work with ofbiz.  I have not tried HID mode with my MSR, however, having read the MSR related code I see no reason that a HID MSR would work, unless windows translates HID events to keyboard events.  Maybe if you have a vendor jpos driver that would work.  I haven't seen any for MSR devices.

If you look in jpos.xml, you will note that there are not "device settings" such as serial port, usb port, etc.  Here is the relevant section from jpos.xml.
=======================
    <!-- Generic Keyboard Wedge MSR Device (included w/ OFBiz) -->
    <JposEntry logicalName="GenericMsr">
        <creation factoryClass="org.ofbiz.pos.jpos.factory.OfbizJposServiceFactory" serviceClass="org.ofbiz.pos.jpos.service.MsrKybService"/>
        <vendor name="The Open For Business Project" url="http://ofbiz.apache.org"/>
        <jpos category="MSR" version="1.7"/>
        <product description="Generic Keyboard Wedge Msr" name="KybMsr" url="ofbiz.apache.org"/>

        <!--Other non JavaPOS required property (mostly vendor properties and bus specific properties i.e. RS232 )-->
    </JposEntry>

I'm using the magtek sureswipe myself, and I had to use magtek's device programming software to put it in keyboard emulation mode.  I'll also say that magtek kind of hides this software, you have to poke around for a while to find it on their website.

Chris Lombardi

Re: POS MSR problems on WinXP

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Sam Benz" <sa...@gmail.com>