Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Anders Hessellund Jensen (Trifork)" <ah...@trifork.com> on 2006/02/14 12:09:55 UTC

Migrating to maven 2

I'd like to help migrating to maven 2.

Where to start? I suppose a good start would be to write POM's for some
of the modules. This should be fairly straightforward, at least for
modules without complex jelly usage. Should the directory layout be
configured to maven 1 style in the parent POM?

/Anders

Re: Migrating to maven 2 -- layout

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Just throwing this out there:

The basic directory structure for maven2 is ${parent.artifactId}/$
{artifactId}.  If we deviate from that we'll have to do crazy things
like put a precise scm url in each pom.xml.

This means two things:
   1.  there needs to be modules/pom.xml which is the parent of
everything in modules.  Same goes for the other dirs, configs,
assemblies, etc.  The parent pom of modules/pom.xml would be the root
pom.xml (if we want a root pom).
   2.  each child project must use it's artifactId as it's directory
name.  So 'kernel' becomes 'geronimo-kernel', etc.

So with modules and applications as an example, that'd give us this:

pom.xml (2 children)

applications/pom.xml (13 children)
applications/geronimo-console-core/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-console-ear/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-console-framework/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-console-standard/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-demo/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-jmxdebug/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-ldap-realm-demo/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-magicGball/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-remote-deploy-lib/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-remote-deploy/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-uddi-db/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-uddi-server/pom.xml
applications/geronimo-welcome/pom.xml

modules/pom.xml (48 children)
modules/geronimo-activation/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-activemq-embedded-rar/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-axis-builder/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-axis/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-client-builder/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-client/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-common/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-connector-builder/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-connector/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-console-web/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-converter/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-core/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-deploy-config/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-deploy-jsr88/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-deploy-tool/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-deployment/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-derby/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-directory/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-hot-deploy/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-interceptor/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-interop/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-j2ee-builder/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-j2ee-schema/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-j2ee/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-javamail-transport/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-jetty-builder/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-jetty/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-jmx-remoting/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-kernel/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-mail/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-management/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-naming-builder/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-naming/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-scripts/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-security-builder/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-security/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-service-builder/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-session/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-spring/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-system/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-test-ddbean/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-timer/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-tomcat-builder/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-tomcat/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-transaction/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-util/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-web-builder/pom.xml
modules/geronimo-webservices/pom.xml

-David

Re: Migrating to maven 2 -- version properties

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Feb 15, 2006, at 11:29 AM, Anders Hessellund Jensen wrote:

> geronimo-system has some jelly to create a geronimo-
> version.properties file.

Check out how I create the  openejb-version.properties via the maven-
antrun-plugin here:

http://cvs.openejb.org/viewrep/openejb/trunk/openejb3/container/
openejb-core/pom.xml?r=2423

Might help.

-David

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.
Prasad Kashyap wrote:
> That's right. I have the deployment plugin in m2. I'm testing each of
> the goals one by one as I use them in the itests project. The itests
> project is also in m2.
>
> I like Gianny's roadmap. We'll know the potholes and pitfalls only
> when we start driving. So either we could randomly take a few modules
> to convert or identify the complex ones.
>
> Even with the complex ones, we have 2 options
> 1) convert them the first, they'll be the prototype for the rest.
> 2) convert them the last, at which point we drop all m1 and it's
> baggage complete and make that final dash to m2.

I have already created m2 poms for a lot of modules. A list can be found
here: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1629 .

Modules still missing m2 builds are:

axis, axis-builder, jetty, jetty-builder, tomcat, tomcat-builder,
console-web, activemq-embedded-rar, interop, installer-processing,
installer-support.

Most modules pose no problems regarding conversion. Short list of
problems I have encountered:

Some modules uses various j2ee archives for testing which are assembled
using jelly. An example of such a module is connector-builder. Any
suggestions for migrating these?

Some modules have various resources placed in non-standard places, e.g.
deploy-tool has a manifest.mf in src/conf. These resources should be
moved to a standard place.

geronimo-system has some jelly to create a geronimo-version.properties file.

Lots of modules probably have redundant dependencies, since m2 has
transitive dependencies. I have basically just copied the dependencies
from the m1 project.xml.

The scope for the various dependencies needs to be specified.

Some modules uses geronimo-dependency-plugin.

If the m2 modules need to be used in the m1 builds, they should have
groupId geronimo. Currently they have groupId org.apache.geronimo.

In short, all the 30 or so modules that I have submitted m2 poms for
compiles. A couple of them skips tests, and a couple of them lacks some
meta-info such as manifests.

/Anders

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
That's right. I have the deployment plugin in m2. I'm testing each of
the goals one by one as I use them in the itests project. The itests
project is also in m2.

I like Gianny's roadmap. We'll know the potholes and pitfalls only
when we start driving. So either we could randomly take a few modules
to convert or identify the complex ones.

Even with the complex ones, we have 2 options
1) convert them the first, they'll be the prototype for the rest.
2) convert them the last, at which point we drop all m1 and it's
baggage complete and make that final dash to m2.

Cheers
Prasad

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/15, Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>:
> We need a m2 version of the geronimo-dependency-plugin. Is anyone
> working on this, or perhaps it already exists somewhere?

AFAIK, the answers are no and no, appropriately. If you'd start
working on it, create a JIRA task item, so it's recorded. The work
could be done in sandbox.

> /Anders

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/15, Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>:

> I don't see any reason why missing dependencies should hold us back from
> starting the migration. If we run into missing dependencies we can
> bundle those dependencies ourselves in the org.apache.geronimo
> namespace. I doubt there is more than a handful missing dependencies at
> worst. Of course it would be preferable to help the project to publish a
> m2 build.

What else can we do with them? Let's sort it out when it comes to the
surface, but I'm reluctant to "bundle those dependencies ourselves in
the org.apache.geronimo namespace". The latter approach is very
time-consuming yet way better.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> I thought the biggest problem was that not all of our dependencies had
> valid POMs, or at least not all their transitive dependencies had
> valid POMs, so any Geronimo build eventually ran into missing/invalid
> POMs and crapped out.  There was a Wiki page where progress on this
> front was being tracked.  Anyone know where that issue stands?

The wiki is here: http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Maven2Conversion

I very much doubt it is up to date (last modified 2005-12-05).

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/15, Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>:
> I thought the biggest problem was that not all of our dependencies had
> valid POMs, or at least not all their transitive dependencies had
> valid POMs, so any Geronimo build eventually ran into missing/invalid
> POMs and crapped out.  There was a Wiki page where progress on this
> front was being tracked.  Anyone know where that issue stands?

At the front page, go to Developer Information section and the last
bullet is Maven2Conversion -
http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Maven2Conversion. Thanks for pointing
it out - I completely forgot about it.

>     Aaron

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I thought the biggest problem was that not all of our dependencies had
valid POMs, or at least not all their transitive dependencies had
valid POMs, so any Geronimo build eventually ran into missing/invalid
POMs and crapped out.  There was a Wiki page where progress on this
front was being tracked.  Anyone know where that issue stands?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/21, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
> Sure.
>
> I'll try to write a summary of the final strategy most of us agreed
> upon. I don't know if that needs to be voted or something. But I'll
> put it out there.

Well, it's always about a concensus so if we're about to fight I'm
sure the vote will be necessary ;) In most cases, a vote is called
whenever a major change is to be introduced and you'll need to engage
more people than as it usually happens. I don't think a vote's
necessary at the moment. Unless I miss something, what would be the
subject of a vote of yours?

Each and every change in the build will have to be thoroughly
described and announced so that people won't get upset for the build
is broken or does not work as known. It's even more important after
Dave set up Continuum and unless we make the M2 build
backward-compatible, it will have to be updated. That's just an
example of the impact of our changes. The more we talk about the
migration, the less surprisingly it will become for everybody and
chances are more people it engages.

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Sure.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.

-1. @see above.

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/21, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>:
> I would create one parent issue w/ many sub-tasks, one for each module.

I would do it, too. That's exactly the aim of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-851, I thought.

> Alan

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
I would create one parent issue w/ many sub-tasks, one for each module.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Jacek,

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/20, Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>:

> I'm about to commit some changes wrt Maven2 support that should help
> people get started and jump in. I'm checking it out at the moment.

Done. The change is committed and ready to give it a try. It won't
possibly work on operating systems other than Windows XP since the os
attribute of the execmvn goal is incomplete/invalid.

You can run M2 install command of the kernel module right after
running the new build when m2 property is set, e.g.

   maven -Dm2=true new

Give it a try and report back how it works.

I'll go on with the kernel module (as an example for others) and will
try to get rid of Maven1 files from it. It will make the m2 property
obligatory.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/20, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
> We should have a wiki page with the modules list so that people can sign up ?

Hi Prasad,

Wouldn't it be better off having a set of JIRA tasks and let people
pick their favorities? I'll create them.

I'm about to commit some changes wrt Maven2 support that should help
people get started and jump in. I'm checking it out at the moment.

> The page could also mark complete those modules already done.

JIRA is just for that. I don't think Wiki would help in any way. What
do you think?

> I shall spare some cycles for it during this week as I wrap up my
> itests subproject infrastructure. I shall devote full time towards
> more modules conversion from next week.

Excellent! I've got some tasks assigned, too, and would be glad to see
more people involved so that we all don't get swamped with the
migration very quickly ;)

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/20, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
>     I would like to migrate tomcat and tomcat-builder
> if it is not already taken?

AFAIK, it is not. Go for it! Create a JIRA task item. Attach it to
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-851 and go ahead.

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
    I would like to migrate tomcat and tomcat-builder
if it is not already taken?

Thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Having the two wikis is confusing; but definitely +1 on recording the
state of the migration in a wiki.

Hen

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/2, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:

> However, a lot of important decisions and information gets drowned in
> the chatter here. So the wiki can be used to get a snapshot summary &
> status of the work in progress. This will be useful for folks who are
> not really following this thread but yet are interested/stakeholders
> in the conversion effort.

Sure. I remember Dain who asked about it, but will you remember to
update Wiki and JIRA tasks and keeping updated the dev mailing list?
Well, let's try it out and see how it goes. I'm however very concerned
with the overwhelming number of available tools that are often
overused. I think it deserves a separate thread when we should decide
how our documentation efforts should be managed.

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Jacek, I couldn't agree more. That is exactly what we should be doing.
The devlist is a more happening place. So we should continue with all
the discussions here.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/1, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
> Dain, your wish has been granted. Here is a humble beginning
>
> http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Migration+to+Maven2

Great work, Prasad! It's a pleasure to work with you and *try* to keep
your pace ;)

But...why do we get used to use Wiki? Wouldn't it be better off if we
talked it over here, in the dev mailing list, and put it in the JIRA
task, afterwards? I think it's much better from historical perspective
when all changes are easily found in the archive(s).

> Prasad.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
inline...

--- Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/2/06, Prasad Kashyap
> <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmm..  somewhere up in this thread, someone had
> mentioned that we
> > should do this as a bottoms-up approach where we
> migrate the ones
> > without any deps (call it base modules) first and
> then work up the
> > chain.
> >
> > That will impose a sequential order on the
> migration effort and may
> > also possibly hold it up. If we are to randomly
> attack it, then maybe
> > we have to use the maven-install-plugin to install
> the required m1 dep
> > jars in m2 local repo. But atleast now, more and
> more modules can be
> > converted and the code checked in.

   It has worked great so far! We have most of the
base modules done.

> > If we used the latter approach, then we'll have to
> wait till the base
> > modules have migrated before turning on the top
> down build. Currently,
> > the maven.xml builds only the kernel module in the
> m2 format anyways.
> >
> > What do you think ?
    Now we are at a stage where people can pick their
favorite module and convert it! And if they find a few
missing jars, just copy them from .maven repo. Writing
another plugin may not be worth the effort at this
stage.

Thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/2/06, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2006, at 10:00 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > On 3/2/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone know if there's a way to get Maven to dump the transitive
> >> build
> >> order from the project.xmls? That would indicate the order to fix
> >> in I
> >> think.
> >

> > Please ignore the idiot. Maven 1 does not have transitive builds :)
>
> ??
>
> if you run maven -o new1 I think you will find the order you want on
> the console.... kill it before it scrolls into oblivion.

Rock, so we should reorder the wiki page to match that. I'll go ahead
and see how that goes in a few moments.

Thanks David,

Hen

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
These are the results of mvn install today(rev 382374,
openejb rev 2526)
1. test failure in system
2. test failure in j2ee
3. error loading schema in j2ee-schema
4. test filure in derby (this was ok yesterday)
 T E S T S
[surefire] Running
org.apache.geronimo.derby.DerbySystemGBeanTest
[surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time
elapsed: 8.203 sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!

Thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Jacek,

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/2, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
> Prasad,
>   Thanks! The version no. for
> geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec jar is 1.1-SNAPSHOT in
> maven1 build and 1.2-SNAPSHOT in maven2 build. There
> is a working pom.xml for naming-builder but it is not
> in the <modules> list in the parent pom.xml (rev
> 382066).

Thanks Anita! The solution's been checked in as revision 382362. I
meant to do it yesterday, but had no much time.

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Prasad,

--- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Prasad,

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/1, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>:

> What does "converted" mean? Does it mean that all unit tests pass?

Yes. That's the absolute minimum to mark a module as converted.

> How about conversion to the maven2 directory structure?

That's interesting question. Shall we do that [<empty>|now|at all]? Do
you see any benefits of having it done? I can't see any, but would be
happy to hear I'm wrong ;)

> -dain

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Dain,

Some of the tests in some modules have not been migrated.

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg17958.html

Anders, I believe, writes -
"Some builders uses jelly to assemble j2ee archives for testing
purposes. These tests have not been migrated. geronimo-jsr88 and
geronimo-deploy-tool are missing manifest files. There are probably
other issues and omissions."

All the modules have kept the old dir structure (src/java) and have
not migrated to the new dir structure (src/main/java). The source
directory is set in the pom.xml.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/1/06, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> Cool.
>
> What does "converted" mean?
> Does it mean that all unit tests pass?

I'm presuming it means:

Red -> No pom exists in SVN
Yellow -> Pom exists in SVN, but mvn install fails
Green -> Pom exists in SVN and a mvn install succeeds (compile/tests)

Comments would then be used to indicate for times when there are
m1-build tests that aren't being run etc.

> How about conversion to the maven2 directory structure?

Post having an m2 build I'd suggest. New modules (interceptor) do seem
to be using the maven2 directory structure, but that's easy to get
around.

Hen

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Cool.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Don't we also need to include migration of the configs in your table?

Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/20, Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>:

> I think that this has already been suggested by David J.: we add a goal,
> e.g. new000, which is executed between new00 and new1. new000 launches
> mvn install in the root project directory. We add to the excludes list
> of new1 the migrated modules (we could also remove the M1 project files
> after migration).

It's an excellent idea and to let others work towards it, I've just
committed a change to the top-level pom.xml that let you execute a
single module, just to see if it works before executing it from the
main build.

> If everyone agrees on the above, then let's start this migration :) -

+1 (btw, I thought the migration was on its way for a week or so ;))

> and I also volunteer to do the migration.

Welcome on board! AFAIK, there 4 people who're working on it - you,
Anders, Prasad and me. With 2 committers and 2 non-committers it
should be pretty straighforward ;)

Before you touch a module, please drop a line.

> Gianny

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On 2/20/2006 12:29 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

>2006/2/20, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>:
>

>>Does the entire system need to build using a single command for this
>>interim conversion?  Why not have people do a
>>
>>mvn install
>>maven new
>>
>>The "mvn install" will build both maven 1 and 2 jars.  The "maven new"
>>will use the maven 1 jars.
>>

>Very good idea, but the real PITA is not how to build Geronimo using
>M1 *and* M2, but how to minimize the redundancy of information in
>their respective files, cf dependencies. I'll be writing about it in
>minutes. Gotta run now...

What redundant information?  Just make sure that the m2 POMs are clean
and make the m1 modules depend on m2 and m1 jars.  It should be simple.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/20, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>:

> Does the entire system need to build using a single command for this
> interim conversion?  Why not have people do a
>
> mvn install
> maven new
>
> The "mvn install" will build both maven 1 and 2 jars.  The "maven new"
> will use the maven 1 jars.

Very good idea, but the real PITA is not how to build Geronimo using
M1 *and* M2, but how to minimize the redundancy of information in
their respective files, cf dependencies. I'll be writing about it in
minutes. Gotta run now...

> Alan

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.
Anders Hessellund Jensen wrote:
> I'm not sure this will work if we remove the maven 1 dependencies. M1
> will not know in which order to build the M2 modules if the dependencies
> are removed.

Nevermind, I somehow missed that you specified "external" dependencies only.

Anyway, what is wrong with updating the top level maven.xml to call the
top level m2 build?

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Feb 20, 2006, at 3:20 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:
> I think that this has already been suggested by David J.: we add a
> goal, e.g. new000, which is executed between new00 and new1. new000
> launches mvn install in the root project directory. We add to the
> excludes list of new1 the migrated modules (we could also remove
> the M1 project files after migration).

So I'm a little lost on where we are at in this.  If i can get my
head around how this will affect our continuous builds, I'm happy.

Currently we have the following projects in continuum:

TranQL           --  (maven clean:clean jar:install)
TranQL Connector --  (maven clean:clean jar:install)
Geronimo         --  (maven clean new1)
OpenEJB 2        --  (maven clean default)
Geronimo :: Applications  -- (maven multiproject:install)
Geronimo :: Configs       -- (maven multiproject:install)
Geronimo :: Assemblies    -- (maven multiproject:clean
multiproject:install)

All are individual projects and continuum build build them when the
code changes.  We force a build of Configs and Assemblies every night
as there is no real code associated with them that would trigger builds.

Note, to pull off having  Applications, Configs and Assemblies as
separate projects in continuum without checking out geronimo trunk
three extra times I made three fake projects in svn by using "links",
e.g. svn:externals, to those directories.  This is largely because
continuum can't handle maven 1 inheritance.  In a maven 2 project
hierarchy this is not required, it makes anything with a pom.xml it's
own project naturally.

-David

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/27, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
> Anita,
>
> Do you have the following in your POM ?
>
> <repositories>
>     <repository>
>       <snapshots>
>         <enabled>true</enabled>
>       </snapshots>
>       <id>Apache CVS</id>
>       <name>Apache CVS of the Central Repository</name>
>       <url>http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository</url>
>     </repository>
>   </repositories>

Sure. It exists. I *guess* it might happen due to the recent version
changes. Will be looking into it later today.

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Anita,

Do you have the following in your POM ?

<repositories>
    <repository>
      <snapshots>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
      </snapshots>
      <id>Apache CVS</id>
      <name>Apache CVS of the Central Repository</name>
      <url>http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository</url>
    </repository>
  </repositories>

That jar exists there
http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/geronimo/specs/geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec/1.1-SNAPSHOT/

Cheers
Prasad

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
    I have attached the pom.xml to jira. The missing
tomcat poms have been added to the repo. We still have
to wait for commons-modeler-1.1.jar.

Thanks
Anita

--- anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2006/2/28, anita kulshreshtha
> <a_...@yahoo.com>:
> > > Jacek,
> > >     Thanks and one more question/comment :
> > >   The contents of var directory of tomcat go to

META-INF/geronimo/org.apache.geronimo/geronimo-tomcat/var

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/28, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
> Jacek,
>     Thanks and one more question/comment :
>   The contents of var directory of tomcat go to
> META-INF/geronimo/org.apache.geronimo/geronimo-tomcat/var
> instead of META-INF/geronimo-tomcat/var in the jar.

I *guess* you're referring to the situation *after* the M2 changes are
in the tomcat module, aren't you? If so, you'll have to change the way
maven-jar-plugin works and configure it so that the META-INF files are
copied appropriately.

Show what you've done so far and we'll work it out together.

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
I don't know either. I have begun looking at the console-web module migration.

Aaron, do I have your blessings to migrate that ? :-)

Cheers
Prasad

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Jacek,

http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/28, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
> Jacek,
>    I had better luck later at night and was able to
> build a dummy tomcat project. I have few questions :
> 1.  The commons-modeler jar available at repos is
>                       at 1.1M1. We currently use 1.1.
> Should we change to 1.1M1?

Nope. We'll definitely need to stick to the versions which are
currently being used by Geronimo. Of course, we could upgrade some,
but it shouldn't interfere with the migration. It wouldn't be funny
when after a *successful* migration to Maven2 someone would blame us
for his/her troubles because we introduced a bug with an older
dependency than the one currently in use.

See http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html for
the steps to upload jars to Maven2 repo.

BTW, Maven2 can use Maven1-compliant repo when it's defined as legacy.
I see it's not yet defined in any pom.xml's so I'll update the parent
pom and commit it.

> 2. Is anyone writing the assembly-plugin?

I don't know. Perhaps Prasad will tell you more.

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> Jacek,
>    I had better luck later at night and was able to
> build a dummy tomcat project. I have few questions :
> 1.  The commons-modeler jar available at repos is
>                       at 1.1M1. We currently use 1.1.
> Should we change to 1.1M1?

No, please use 1.1.

Jeff

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Jacek,

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
inline .....

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On 2/17/2006 1:35 AM, Anders Hessellund Jensen wrote:
>
>> Gianny Damour wrote:
>>
>>> Basically, this is how I see a migration module by module working:
>>> 1. take one module;
>>> 2. write its pom.xml;

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.
Gianny Damour wrote:
> Basically, this is how I see a migration module by module working:
> 1. take one module;
> 2. write its pom.xml;
> 3. remove from its project.xml all the external dependencies, i.e. the
> non Geronimo dependencies (they are no more required as they are now
> defined by pom.xml); and
> 4. update its maven.xml to invoke the relevant M2 build goal.

For this to work, the m2 builds must have the same groupId as the m1
builds, right? So we need to make a decision about which strategy to use:

1) Use different groupIds for the m1 and m2 build, keep the two build
systems work simultaneously until migration is completed.
2) Use the same groupId for the m1 and m2 build, replace the m1 builds
when the m2 builds are completed.

I say we give 2) a shot, and fall back to 1) if it for some reason does
not work.

/Anders

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Feb 15, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:
>> Then I don't understand why it would save us any work *now*? How
>> could
>> m1 and m2 know about the dependencies if there were no project.xml or
>> pom.xml, respectively? Once we provide pom.xml's, I understand it
>> would be the next step to just call off m2 from m1, but it's not
>> possible now.
>>
> It save us from the extra work of ensuring that the m2 build works
> properly all along the migration.

We could hook them up into continuum, no?  We have to do that anyway.

I'm personally a little weary about forcing everyone to choke down
every step of the migration.  It's trivial to run both the maven1 and
work-in-progress maven2 builds in continuum.

I'm not understanding why people think that's not good enough to get
started?

-David

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
Anders Hessellund Jensen wrote:

> Gianny Damour wrote:
>
>> Basically, this is how I see a migration module by module working:
>> 1. take one module;
>> 2. write its pom.xml;
>> 3. remove from its project.xml all the external dependencies, i.e.
>> the non Geronimo dependencies (they are no more required as they are
>> now defined by pom.xml); and
>> 4. update its maven.xml to invoke the relevant M2 build goal.
>

> Sounds like an excellent solution. My knowledge of jelly is very
> limited, could you show me an example on how to carry out step 4?

My Jelly is also very limited; yet you can call Ant from maven rather
easily like this:

<project default="default"
    xmlns:ant="jelly:ant">

    <goal name="clean">
        <ant:exec executable="mvn.bat">
            <ant:arg line="clean"/>
        </ant:exec>
    </goal>

    <goal name="default">
        <ant:exec executable="mvn.bat">
            <ant:arg line="install"/>
        </ant:exec>
    </goal>

</project>

If you replace modules/kernel/maven.xml with the above script, then the
new1 multiproject will actually build the kernel module with M2.

Thanks,
Gianny

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
Jacek Laskowski wrote:

>2006/2/15, Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I also think that we should call m2 from m1 and avoid to maintain a dual
>>build during the migration. As pointed out by Dain, we could easily call
>>m2 from m1 by redefining the clean and build goals of m1 to invoke m2
>>clean and m2 install respectively:
>>
>><project default="rebuild" xmlns:ant="jelly:ant">
>>
>>    <goal name="clean">
>>        <ant:exec executable="mvn.bat">
>>            <ant:arg line="clean"/>
>>        </ant:exec>
>>    </goal>
>>
>>    <goal name="build">
>>        <ant:exec executable="mvn.bat">
>>            <ant:arg line="install"/>
>>        </ant:exec>
>>    </goal>
>>
>></project>
>>

>Then I don't understand why it would save us any work *now*? How could
>m1 and m2 know about the dependencies if there were no project.xml or
>pom.xml, respectively? Once we provide pom.xml's, I understand it
>would be the next step to just call off m2 from m1, but it's not
>possible now.

It save us from the extra work of ensuring that the m2 build works
properly all along the migration. At this stage, we could call m2 from
m1 for each module having a pom.xml file and I think that this is
achievable right now.

Basically, this is how I see a migration module by module working:
1. take one module;
2. write its pom.xml;
3. remove from its project.xml all the external dependencies, i.e. the
non Geronimo dependencies (they are no more required as they are now
defined by pom.xml); and
4. update its maven.xml to invoke the relevant M2 build goal.

The M1 reactor still drives the multiproject build. This means that we
do not update the top level maven.xml file. When all the projects of a
given multiproject build, e.g. new1, has been migrated, we let M2 drives
the multiproject build.

>BTW, what benefit would give us the above snippet? Why would I call
>maven rather than mvn on the command line when pom.xml's are
>available?

 From the top level root source, we call maven which delegates
transparently to mvn if the module is M2 enabled.

>>BTW, indeed, maven-one-plugin installs a m2 artefact into the local
>>maven repo.
>>

>Wait, the local maven repo? I say nothing about the local repo, which
>I understood could be drawn from 'indeed' of yours.

Sorry - I was sure that you wanted to highlight the fact that a mix
M1-M2 build was requiring M2 to be able to get some of its dependencies
from a local M1 repository vice-versa.

Thanks,
Gianny

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/15, Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>:
> Hi,
>
> I also think that we should call m2 from m1 and avoid to maintain a dual
> build during the migration. As pointed out by Dain, we could easily call
> m2 from m1 by redefining the clean and build goals of m1 to invoke m2
> clean and m2 install respectively:
>
> <project default="rebuild" xmlns:ant="jelly:ant">
>
>     <goal name="clean">
>         <ant:exec executable="mvn.bat">
>             <ant:arg line="clean"/>
>         </ant:exec>
>     </goal>
>
>     <goal name="build">
>         <ant:exec executable="mvn.bat">
>             <ant:arg line="install"/>
>         </ant:exec>
>     </goal>
>
> </project>

Then I don't understand why it would save us any work *now*? How could
m1 and m2 know about the dependencies if there were no project.xml or
pom.xml, respectively? Once we provide pom.xml's, I understand it
would be the next step to just call off m2 from m1, but it's not
possible now.

BTW, what benefit would give us the above snippet? Why would I call
maven rather than mvn on the command line when pom.xml's are
available?

> BTW, indeed, maven-one-plugin installs a m2 artefact into the local
> maven repo.

Wait, the local maven repo? I say nothing about the local repo, which
I understood could be drawn from 'indeed' of yours.

> Gianny

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
Hi,

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/15, Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>:

> Cool. Is it possible to make m2 deploy the builds to the local m1
> repository as part of the build process? That would be very helpful.

I haven't tested it, but the specs' pom.xml uses such a plugin -
maven-one-plugin.

      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-one-plugin</artifactId>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <goals>
              <goal>install-maven-one-repository</goal>
              <goal>deploy-maven-one-repository</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <remoteRepositoryId>apache</remoteRepositoryId>
              <remoteRepositoryUrl>scpexe://cvs.apache.org/www/cvs.apache.org/repository</remoteRepositoryUrl>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>

so I'd say it is.

> /Anders

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.
Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>>As far as i know,it is not possible to use m2 dependencies in m1, so if
>>we want to do that we would have to write a m1 plugin for that ourselves.
>

> It is. Just define <layout>legacy</layout> as a type of a repository.

Cool. Is it possible to make m2 deploy the builds to the local m1
repository as part of the build process? That would be very helpful.

>>The m1 build will be the "reference" build until the conversion has
>>finished, so the goal is to keep the m2 build in sync with the m1 build.
>>  It certainly will take som effort, but i think it is be possible.
>

> It's going to be a big PITA, but there's no other choice, unless
> Dain's idea would work.

I agree.

/Anders

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/15, Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>:
> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> > What do you mean by in parallel?
>
> I just mean that both the m1 and the m2 build runs, without interfering
> with each other.

Exactly what I meant too! I wish we don't touch any m1-based files in
our build and add their m2 counterparts.

Dain's idea sounds interesting, too.

> As far as i know,it is not possible to use m2 dependencies in m1, so if
> we want to do that we would have to write a m1 plugin for that ourselves.

It is. Just define <layout>legacy</layout> as a type of a repository.

> The m1 build will be the "reference" build until the conversion has
> finished, so the goal is to keep the m2 build in sync with the m1 build.
>   It certainly will take som effort, but i think it is be possible.

It's going to be a big PITA, but there's no other choice, unless
Dain's idea would work.

> /Anders

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> What do you mean by in parallel?

I just mean that both the m1 and the m2 build runs, without interfering
with each other.

> I specifically would like to see modules converted one by one to m2  and
> when converted have the module completely built by m2 (execed?)  from a
> m1 global build.  I think this is the only way we will ever  keep our m1
> and m2 builds in sync during the conversion.

 > Is there an easy way to do this with m1?
As far as i know,it is not possible to use m2 dependencies in m1, so if
we want to do that we would have to write a m1 plugin for that ourselves.

The m1 build will be the "reference" build until the conversion has
finished, so the goal is to keep the m2 build in sync with the m1 build.
  It certainly will take som effort, but i think it is be possible.

> I'm concerned about having
> two dependency lists: one in the project.xml and one in the pom.xml.
> Is there a tool that can merge the project.xml dependencies into a
> template pom.xml?

This certainly is a concern, but i think it can be managed. Versions of
dependencies are specified in the parent pom.xml/project.xml in
alphabetically sorted lists, so it will only take a look through that
list to confirm the versions match.

/Anders

Re: Migrating to maven 2 - conversion idea

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Feb 15, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> David Blevins wrote, On 2/14/2006 5:29 PM:
>> On Feb 14, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>>   I get the impression that people are proposing that we create
>>> parallel builds for modules one at a time, and I just don't see
>>> that working.
>> Both the OpenEJB and ActiveMQ builds were done as parallel
>> builds.   I've got ActiveMQ up in continuum building as an M2
>> projects, so we  know it stays good. Obviously, the OpenEJB build
>> was done way before  we had continuum and it got crufty.
>> ActiveMQ still does releases from m1 as they still don't have all
>> their tests converted over.  Other than that their m2 build works.
>> But I'm in the same boat as you, I don't have the bandwidth to
>> work  on it aside from helping people get it running in continuum.
>
> I feel the same way as Dain but I am willing to back it up w/ warm
> bodies to help.  Continuum will not help, imho.  It will only
> remind us how badly the two versions are drifting.

Ok, now *that* is feedback I can use.  The whole "i don't think it
will work" with no reasons why is not as useful.

And thanks for the warm bodies.

-David

Re: Migrating to maven 2 - conversion idea

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Feb 14, 2006, at 4:30 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2006, at 4:06 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> Is there an easy way to do this with m1?  I'm concerned about
>> having two dependency lists: one in the project.xml and one in the
>> pom.xml.  Is there a tool that can merge the project.xml
>> dependencies into a template pom.xml?
>
> If there was a tool we'd probably go from pom.xml to project.xml
> for transitive deps reasons rather than the other way around.
>
> But really, I wouldn't worry about having two deps lists.  Here is
> an idea for keeping things working ...
>
> Why don't we:
>   - use an non-conflicting groupId like org.apache.geronimo-m2 or
> something specifically for conversion
>   - set it up in our continuum install as another project
>   - and continuously build *both*
>
> ?
>
> The reason for the new groupId is so that the m2 build doesn't
> interfere at all with our regular m1 build.  We just won't sycn
> org.apache.geronimo-m2.
>
> When our m2 build is read, we just drop the "-m2" suffix from the
> groupId and delete the old maven.xml and project.xml files.
>
> Thoughts?

Take my comments with a large dose of salt since, I'm not
volunteering to do the work....  I would like to see a module
completely converted to m2 (one at a time) and stay converted.  I get
the impression that people are proposing that we create parallel
builds for modules one at a time, and I just don't see that working.

Then again, if there is a group of you that want to do the work,
don't let me hold you back.  I've been wrong many times before.

-dain

Re: Migrating to maven 2 - conversion idea

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Feb 14, 2006, at 5:28 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 2/15/06, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:
>> Every m2 project i've worked with eventually ended up leveraging
>> maven 1 repositories.
>>
>> We'd likely use the maven-one-plugin which puts jars into a maven 1
>> repo.  Also we'd likely still need to list cvs.apache.org in the repo
>> list of our m2 build.
>
> That's because they're all depending on snapshot versions of geronimo
> dependencies :)
>
> You will want to limit the number of snapshot repos you use, and
> eventually remove dependence on m1 repos. I'd suggest mapping out
> "what goes where" first. If all you are using is ibiblio, there is no
> need to use the m1 version, as it is just a mapping over the m2 one.
>
> Isn't the current Geronimo group ID "geronimo", so the new one can be
> "org.apache.geronimo" without a clash?

Oh, yea.  You're right.  We could just use "geronimo" groupId in m1
and "org.apache.geronimo" groupId for m2.  For some reason I was
thinking we switched groupIds already.

-David

Re: Migrating to maven 2 - conversion idea

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Isn't the current Geronimo group ID "geronimo", so the new one can be
> "org.apache.geronimo" without a clash?

Great! The modules i converted  to m2 already has groupId set to this in
the m2 build.

Re: Migrating to maven 2 - conversion idea

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 2/15/06, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:
> Every m2 project i've worked with eventually ended up leveraging
> maven 1 repositories.
>
> We'd likely use the maven-one-plugin which puts jars into a maven 1
> repo.  Also we'd likely still need to list cvs.apache.org in the repo
> list of our m2 build.

That's because they're all depending on snapshot versions of geronimo
dependencies :)

You will want to limit the number of snapshot repos you use, and
eventually remove dependence on m1 repos. I'd suggest mapping out
"what goes where" first. If all you are using is ibiblio, there is no
need to use the m1 version, as it is just a mapping over the m2 one.

Isn't the current Geronimo group ID "geronimo", so the new one can be
"org.apache.geronimo" without a clash?

- Brett

Re: Migrating to maven 2 - conversion idea

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Anders Hessellund Jensen <ah...@trifork.com>.
David Blevins wrote:
> Why don't we:
>   - use an non-conflicting groupId like org.apache.geronimo-m2 or
> something specifically for conversion
>   - set it up in our continuum install as another project
>   - and continuously build *both*
>
> ?
>
> The reason for the new groupId is so that the m2 build doesn't
> interfere at all with our regular m1 build.  We just won't sycn
> org.apache.geronimo-m2.

As I understand it, there should be no problems with interference. m1
and m2 uses different repositories. m1 will always get the dependencies
built by m1, and m2 will always get the dependencies built by m2. The
two builds should be able to coexist without any interference, so there
should be no need to change the groupId.

I agree that we should set the m2 build up in continuum - the sooner the
better.

Re: Migrating to maven 2 - conversion idea

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Please, no -m2 suffix.

--jason

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
this always reminds me of the old jokes about the country that wanted to
do a  piecemeal switch from "wheel on the right" cars to "wheel on the
left" cars...

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
It'd make more sense to have m1 exec m2 so that your master build is
last to convert. This should be possible with <exec />.

Forking is probably slow, but forking m2 is probably faster than the
m1 build anyway :)

- Brett

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/14, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>:
> If m2 could exec an m1 build (following global dependencies) or if m1
> could invoke m2, this conversion would be much easier as we could
> convert a module at at time.

As far as I understood it, it's not possible. What is possible is to
build Maven2 project structure (i.e. pom.xml and alike) in parallel to
Maven1 without the latter being touched at all. That's what I think
would be the most preferable approach.

> -dain

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Migrating to maven 2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/2/14, Anders Hessellund Jensen (Trifork) <ah...@trifork.com>:
> I'd like to help migrating to maven 2.

Hi Anders,

I'm going to support (i.e. apply patches related to M2 as soon as
possible) you (and anybody) who's going to help with the migration.
I'm learning Maven2 so I couldn't imagine a better way to learn it
than while doing the migration. I have alone thought about it, but the
learning surve is too steep or am a little sidetracked. I'm thus very
glad seeing you doing it, too.

> Where to start? I suppose a good start would be to write POM's for some
> of the modules. This should be fairly straightforward, at least for
> modules without complex jelly usage.

It's a very good start. I'd bet Geronimo is a huge project, so it's
going to be some sort of proof of concept that Maven2 can handle it
(when Maven2 developers read it, I'm dead ;))

> Should the directory layout be configured to maven 1 style in the parent POM?

Yes. Let's take smaller steps, so that we won't get lost in Maven2 and
Geronimo build's complexity.

Keep up with the excellent job, Anders! I'm just applying the patch
you've just submitted.

> /Anders

Jacek

--