Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2005/01/06 13:00:37 UTC

Incubator Status (was Re: [VOTE] RC2 MyFaces -1.0.8beta for testing)

Before proposing this release to the incubator committee, we should have the project otherwise ready to exit.

We've met the technical criteria and just need to finsh the website.  Ideally, it should contain all the elements of the MyFaces.org site. Specifically, we need

* Community Page - Add link to JIRA on Community page.

* Downloads - Have we been able to setup the nightly builds yet?

* Status page - An ancient Apache tradition is to maintain a "project status file". This file should list the Committers, Recent Action Items (like this release vote), and any project resources not listed elsewhere. Personally, I'd just add it to the website.

* Decision making guidelines - I'd suggest setting up a bylaws page that outline the decision making process MyFaces will follow.

This is not part of the standard Incubation process, but I would suggest adding a set of bylaws to the site. You will have to do this eventually, so why not do it now. The ones I setup for iBATIS, which are typical to ASF projects, are here: [http://incubator.apache.org/ibatis/site/bylaws.html ].

I need to lookup some historical dates for the Incubator status page, but we seem otherwise good to go.

-Ted.

RE: Incubator Status (was Re: [VOTE] RC2 MyFaces -1.0.8beta for testing)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Ted Husted wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:12:55 +0100, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>>  sounds good. Since we notice a *growing* community I think time is
>>  right to leave incubator. Btw. will MyFaces be a TLP?
>
> We mentioned applying for TLP in the proposal. So, if that's what we still want, then yes.
>
> Unless, of course, there is another TLP that you would like to join instead.
>
> Personally, I think the scope is broad enough to justify its own project.
>

>>  Ok, we have to *convert* the documentation etc into forrest xml
>>  stuff, that should be added to http://incubator.apache.org/myfaces/
>
> Of course, you know that Forrest is not a *requirement*. You can use anything you like.
>
> I'm not sure about PHP though. We'd have to check with infrastructure. There's an inclination to have the sites end up as HTML, to minimize server load.

I think it's very unlikely that the infra@ folks would be happy with PHP,
and would recommend against it.

>>>  * Status page - An ancient Apache tradition is to maintain a
>>>  "project status file". This file should list the Committers,
>>>  Recent Action Items (like this release vote), and any project
>>>  resources not listed elsewhere. Personally, I'd just add it to
>>>  the website.
>>>

>>  Where did you add it? I didn't saw it...
>>
>>  Btw. Committers are here allready:
>>  http://incubator.apache.org/myfaces/community/contributors.html
>
> I didn't mean that I added, only that, if it were me, I'd make it a status "page" rather than a status "file".
>
> You might just add a "Status" page to the Community tab. A "Roadmap" page might do as well. What the checklist says is:
>
> " (Committers, non-incubation action items, project resources, etc)"
>
> There are Incubator PMC members who do insist that projects have a "status file", so we need to make sure this is handled somehow.

If you have a status _page_ and you need a status _file_ as well, you
could simply generate the file from the page using an Ant <xslt> target,
and then check in the file. This does mean that the file needs to be
regenerated whenever the page is updated, but it also means there's only
one file that people need to edit.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
> We mentioned applying for TLP in the proposal. So, if that's
> what we still want, then yes.
>
> Unless, of course, there is another TLP that you would like
> to join instead.
>
> Personally, I think the scope is broad enough to justify its
> own project.

Yes, think so too. So with a TLP myfaces.apache.org, there is
enough room for subprojects like you guys to with Struts.

One candiate will be perhaps the WML RenderKit
and the extra components. (the TilesViewHandler one I'd like
to see inside of tiles.apache.org -Yes I saw your draft on
that)

> > Ok, we have to *convert* the documentation etc into forrest xml
> > stuff, that should be added to http://incubator.apache.org/myfaces/
>
> Of course, you know that Forrest is not a *requirement*. You
> can use anything you like.
>
> I'm not sure about PHP though. We'd have to check with
> infrastructure. There's an inclination to have the sites end
> up as HTML, to minimize server load.

Since I got a basic knowledge of forrest and since it is
usable from ANT, I think forrest will be fine. Also the
current homepage is based upon forrest, so why not continue.

At weekend I will try to convert some docs from myfaces.org
to our page.

> I didn't mean that I added, only that, if it were me, I'd
> make it a status "page" rather than a status "file".
>
> You might just add a "Status" page to the Community tab. A
> "Roadmap" page might do as well. What the checklist says is:
>
> " (Committers, non-incubation action items, project resources, etc)"
>
> There are Incubator PMC members who do insist that projects
> have a "status file", so we need to make sure this is handled somehow.

Ok, I try...

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:12:55 +0100, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>�sounds good. Since we notice a *growing* community I think time is
>�right to leave incubator. Btw. will MyFaces be a TLP?

We mentioned applying for TLP in the proposal. So, if that's what we still want, then yes.

Unless, of course, there is another TLP that you would like to join instead.

Personally, I think the scope is broad enough to justify its own project.

>�Ok, we have to *convert* the documentation etc into forrest xml
>�stuff, that should be added to http://incubator.apache.org/myfaces/

Of course, you know that Forrest is not a *requirement*. You can use anything you like.

I'm not sure about PHP though. We'd have to check with infrastructure. There's an inclination to have the sites end up as HTML, to minimize server load.

>>�* Status page - An ancient Apache tradition is to maintain a
>>�"project status file". This file should list the Committers,
>>�Recent Action Items (like this release vote), and any project
>>�resources not listed elsewhere. Personally, I'd just add it to
>>�the website.
>>

>�Where did you add it? I didn't saw it...
>
>�Btw. Committers are here allready:
>�http://incubator.apache.org/myfaces/community/contributors.html

I didn't mean that I added, only that, if it were me, I'd make it a status "page" rather than a status "file".

You might just add a "Status" page to the Community tab. A "Roadmap" page might do as well. What the checklist says is:

" (Committers, non-incubation action items, project resources, etc)"

There are Incubator PMC members who do insist that projects have a "status file", so we need to make sure this is handled somehow.

>�that looks very *generic* but why the mention of Struts inside of
>�ibatis?

Oops, typo.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Ted,

> Before proposing this release to the incubator committee, we
> should have the project otherwise ready to exit.

sounds good. Since we notice a *growing* community I think
time is right to leave incubator. Btw. will MyFaces
be a TLP?

> We've met the technical criteria and just need to finsh the
> website.  Ideally, it should contain all the elements of the
> MyFaces.org site. Specifically, we need

Ok, we have to *convert* the documentation etc into
forrest xml stuff, that should be added to
http://incubator.apache.org/myfaces/

> * Community Page - Add link to JIRA on Community page.
>
> * Downloads - Have we been able to setup the nightly builds yet?
>
> * Status page - An ancient Apache tradition is to maintain a
> "project status file". This file should list the Committers,
> Recent Action Items (like this release vote), and any project
> resources not listed elsewhere. Personally, I'd just add it
> to the website.

Where did you add it? I didn't saw it...

Btw. Committers are here allready:
http://incubator.apache.org/myfaces/community/contributors.html

> * Decision making guidelines - I'd suggest setting up a
> bylaws page that outline the decision making process MyFaces
> will follow.
>
> This is not part of the standard Incubation process, but I
> would suggest adding a set of bylaws to the site. You will
> have to do this eventually, so why not do it now. The ones I
> setup for iBATIS, which are typical to ASF projects, are
> here: [http://incubator.apache.org/ibatis/site/bylaws.html ].

that looks very *generic* but why the mention of Struts inside
of ibatis?

<snip>
Subprojects

Subprojects are the Project's unit of release. Each subproject should
represent an implementation of the Struts core or a related component.
</snip>

I guess this is an accident :-)
If it is *generic*, then we could also *copy* it to our website.

> I need to lookup some historical dates for the Incubator
> status page, but we seem otherwise good to go.

Thanks for help

Matthias