Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Bradley, Todd" <to...@Polycom.com> on 2005/07/05 16:57:47 UTC

RE: log4j LoggingEvent repeater

Through trial and error, I think this problem was due
to incompatibilities between log4j 1.2.8 and Chainsaw
v2.  I'm guessing that Chainsaw saw location information
in the LoggingEvents and dropped its connection to the
application's SocketHubAppender.  Then, they reconnected
and the same thing happened again, over and over.

Anyhow, I ended up having to write my own code for the
LogEventRepeater I needed.  SimpleSocketServer didn't
do exactly what I needed, and the underlying SocketNode
didn't, either.  In my case, due to this apparent incom-
patibility, I needed a SocketNode that would filter out
location information, plus I needed something like a
SimpleSocketServer that would allow you to specify the
IP address on which to listen for connections (for run-
ning on a machine with multiple ethernet interfaces).

But, it's all working nicely now, and I and the rest of
my team are able to use Chainsaw v2 to monitor our
application that's running on its own private network
(with one gateway machine between it and us, which is
where the LogEventRepeater runs).

Chainsaw v2 really is a big improvement over v1!  I
can't wait for it (and log4j 1.3) to be ready for
prime time and officially released.

Todd.