Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> on 2014/08/23 17:55:22 UTC

What are we doing about Munich?

Even if the story is not completely what was initially reported. There
is a momentum to put create/sugest rolling back Linux in the Munich
city counsil.

Are we doing anything regarding acknowledging that we are and have a
presence in respect to services and assitance regarding Apache
OpenOffice product.

Something like BizDev, or something related to our product reputation.

Do we have a German group actively working on this, maybe doing a
summit to address the issues regarding current versions of AOO.

Regards.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: What are we doing about Munich?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
> Even if the story is not completely what was initially reported. There
> is a momentum to put create/sugest rolling back Linux in the Munich
> city counsil.
>
> Are we doing anything regarding acknowledging that we are and have a
> presence in respect to services and assitance regarding Apache
> OpenOffice product.
>
> Something like BizDev, or something related to our product reputation.
>
> Do we have a German group actively working on this, maybe doing a
> summit to address the issues regarding current versions of AOO.

I think the question should be:  What is Munich doing about Munich?

Can anyone point to a message on the users list from them reporting a
bug?  Anything from them in Bugzilla?   Any communication whatsoever
from them?  It is not like we're hard to contact.

As for services, we have a consultants page:

https://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html

It is linked to from our support page.  We also did a blog post on it.
If one searches Google for "OpenOffice consultants" it comes up first.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: acolorado@gmail.com [mailto:acolorado@gmail.com] On

> I have very good ties with the people from The Linux Action Show
> podcast[1], they were talking about this issue in Germany and would be
> interested if you could be a guest for interview about the situation
> and maybe help get more knowlege on what happened. If you are
> available maybe there could work withing your schedule for a live
> interview during their show.
>
> I include chris (the host of the podcast) to figure out the details.

A live interview is beyond my linguistic skills.

Maybe a written interview would be a possible alternative?
(It could perhaps also be published elsewhere than on http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/show/linuxactionshow/)

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: What are we doing about Munich?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

[1] http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/show/linuxactionshow/

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 8/24/14, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:
>> From: acolorado@gmail.com [mailto:acolorado@gmail.com] On
>
>> Yes but the damage most time is NOT local. And that makes us act
>> globally and locally. There was a big misstransalation of the news
>> mainly because of sensationalist titles that affect the global
>> perception of Open source (not just OpenOffice).
>>
>> However we are target and we want to clear as much of the fog created
>> by sensationalism and also misstransaltions. Having germans write up
>> (in english) like you are doing right now allow us to have a clearer
>> image of the situation. Unfortunately we dont have much community
>> involvement by the IT people from the Munich council here, which could
>> help us to even clear even more the communication pipes.
>>
>> That said, AOO has the biggest voice, since we can launch a campaing
>> and will target enterprise costumers on what the real details and why
>> AOO has succeed in Munich despite the somewhat erroneous news.
>
> You mean that not at all members of the AOO community know what it is in
> Munich and we therefore need translations so the situation is
> understandable?
>
> If so, I have been misunderstood, because I believed the situation in Munich
> would generally (and internationally) known.
>
> In the event that it would matter the situation in Munich to make it clear I
> could even write something about it, because to me the situation is well
> known. Would it be quite useful to do that? Perhaps as a blog post in
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/?

If you havent really read all the articles, the media is backpedalling
from what it was a greatly missconstrude headline news.

This article introduce some corrections:
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/no-munich-isnt-about-to-ditch-free-software-and-move-back-to-windows/

Of course a week later after the news broke and like we all know, the
public end up with the first impressions.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:pescetti@apache.org]

> > I could even write something about it, because to me the situation
> > is well known. Would it be quite useful to do that? Perhaps
> as a blog
> > post in https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/?
>
> Please do. If you don't have the rights to publish it, someone
> (including me) can surely publish it for you.

OK, I write a blog post. Please have some patience, I think it will take until next week.

> And I agree with you both too. Fact is, we do have good programmers
> (even "more than good", for that matter), but we don't have
> people very
> active and competent in marketing. This is the marketing list
> and indeed
> the level of activity should be much higher than what I'm seeing now;
> but it all depends on individuals participating on this list.

For marketing work, I have no particular interest, but aware of its importance and would do more if the language barrier would not. Unfortunately it cost me 2-3 times more time to discuss things in English than in German.

Greeetings,
Jörg

Re: What are we doing about Munich?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
A most wanted work is the tracking and documentation of success stories
Eric tenenbaum used to do this work on the wiki.  Please search for success
stories

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: acolorado@gmail.com [mailto:acolorado@gmail.com] On

> And that's part of the problem. We need AOO-german nationals to work
> on transfering that communication into english (not only translate but
> present it). Otherwise we are behind a language paywall (and yes I
> know Gtranslate is good for german but still is more than translation)
> is context.

Yes, but there is also another way of viewing: local working is local and each of interested in it, must get involved locally.
I know a lot about OpenOffice, but sorry, I'm not a translator and translations are hard work for me, and make me not fun.

Please understand me correctly, I mean that it is a practical question weigh up how to get to the greatest possible success, is often the part of the international community be possible, but sometimes it's better to focus on local possibilities.
It is for many of the employees at AOO interested, an important detail, the language in which they have to perform the communication. If they need to perform communication in English they will not participate, because they too difficult.

> People at the TDF are very active in germany marketing team, yet in
> AOO camp,  marketing hasn't been a priority which bring us back to
> questioning what's the aim of AOO for pushing it's brand value into
> organizations.
>
> Unfortunately Apache cares a lot about avoiding being un-represented
> more than the succes of the project. I think is important to evaluate
> the future of AOO beyond the scope of development.

I read it several times, but am not safe what you mean.

Do you mean good public relations work for AOO is equally important as good programming? Then I agree with you.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: What are we doing about Munich?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.