Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2019/09/27 11:55:12 UTC

HttpCore / HttpClient 5.0 compatibility testing

Folks

I have been testing HttpCore 5.0 and HttpClient 5.0 for compatibility
with common HTTP servers such as Apache HTTPD and Ngnix for quite some
time using Docker containers. I also recently added httpbin.org
container to the list of target test environments. The image
definitions can be found here [1] and the compatibility tests here
[2].

Usually the intent of such tests is to ensure compatibility with non-
trivial functionality such as HTTP/2 message multiplexing and server
push, and HTTP/1.1 message pipelining and out of sequence responses.

If you want us to regularly test for compatibility with other web
platforms, be it Jetty or Apache Tomcat or anything else, please
consider contributing Docker images and adding to the existing
compatibility test suits.

This would be a perfect way to make a major contribution to the project
and would be a huge win for the community.

My Docker skills are rudimentary and probably the way I go about Docker
based tests is likely very silly.

Anyone who would be willing to help us get those tests to run with
Jenkins as a regular job would make a tremendous contribution.

Oleg

[1] https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-core/tree/master/httpcore5-testing/docker
[2] https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-core/blob/master/httpcore5-testing/src/test/java/org/apache/hc/core5/testing/compatibility/http2/H2CompatibilityTest.java

Re: HttpCore / HttpClient 5.0 compatibility testing

Posted by Ryan Schmitt <rs...@apache.org>.
I decided to give this a shot, and I think I've got it working [1].
Specifically, I added Docker start and stop commands to Maven's pre- and
post-integration-test phases, using a suitable Maven plugin [2]. It even
works in Travis CI [3]. I've only added integration for httpbin, but if
this overall approach seems sane then we can continue iterating on it.

[1] https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-core/pull/182
[2] https://github.com/fabric8io/docker-maven-plugin
[3] https://travis-ci.org/rschmitt/httpcomponents-core/jobs/632039532#L4562