Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jack Gostl <go...@argoscomp.com> on 2007/02/03 14:12:36 UTC

Bayes resolution gettin weaker

I've been watching this for awhile, and there is now a pattern to what I'm seeing.

I'm running a configuration with multiple users sharing a bayes files. This is an interim move to facilitate the spamassassin upgrades, and like many interim moves its been going on for a long time.

When I first build the bayes files from my personal folders and my spam archives, things were great. 99.8% of the spam caught or better. Then, usually after a week or so, the number starts to drop. Right now, its down to 97%, in another day or two it will be down below 95%. With the amount of spam we receive, that is a lot of missed junk mail.

So I blow away my bayes* files, rebuild, and I'm back up to darn near 100% caught. For about a week. Then the deterioration begins again.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this an artifact of too many users sharing a spam file?

Also.... I retrain each night, feeding any missed spams plus any new hams received back through sa-learn. I can't see how that makes it worse, but who knows.

Thanks - Jack

Re: Bayes resolution gettin weaker

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 12 February 2007 13:35, Jim Maul wrote:
>> Jack Gostl wrote:
>>> Well... I'm convinced. I turned off autolearn a week ago, and things
>>> have never been smoother. Its a shame really, that's a nice feature,
>>> but for some reason it waters down the Bayes resolution until its
>>> almost useless.
>> Most likely because the autolearn thresholds are too generous.  The
>> possibility to autolearn spam as ham and/or ham as spam is too great.  I
>> have been running with autolearn enabled, my thresholds set to:
>>
>> bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam -0.1
>> bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 12.0
>>
> Where are these rules located?

You would define them in the local.cf. By default there will not be
anything in there (I believe).

See:
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_AutoLearnThreshold.html

for the default settings that are taken when not specified.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Bayes resolution gettin weaker

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.

Posted by Jack Gostl <go...@argoscomp.com>.

Posted by Jack Gostl <go...@argoscomp.com>.

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi,

Jack Gostl wrote:
>>> I've been watching this for awhile, and there is now a pattern to
>>> what I'm seeing.
>>>
>>> I'm running a configuration with multiple users sharing a bayes
>>> files. This is an interim move to facilitate the spamassassin
>>> upgrades, and like many interim moves its been going on for a long time.
>>>
>>> When I first build the bayes files from my personal folders and my
>>> spam archives, things were great. 99.8% of the spam caught or better.
>>> Then, usually after a week or so, the number starts to drop. Right
>>> now, its down to 97%, in another day or two it will be down below
>>> 95%. With the amount of spam we receive, that is a lot of missed junk
>>> mail.
>>>
>>> So I blow away my bayes* files, rebuild, and I'm back up to darn near
>>> 100% caught. For about a week. Then the deterioration begins again.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else encountered this? Is this an artifact of too many
>>> users sharing a spam file?
>>>
>>> Also.... I retrain each night, feeding any missed spams plus any new
>>> hams received back through sa-learn. I can't see how that makes it
>>> worse, but who knows.
>
>> Do you have autolearn enabled?
>
> Uh... yes? You are suggesting that I turn it off? I had always assumed
> that if the Bayes learned something as ham that it shouldn't, sa-learn
> was smart enough to undo it.

Change the thresholds for auto learning.  Mine are:

bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam -0.1
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 12.0

--
Anthony Peacock
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples
then you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an
idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us
will have two ideas." -- George Bernard Shaw

Re: Bayes resolution gettin weaker

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 23:33:29 -0500, "Jack Gostl" <go...@argoscomp.com>
wrote:

>>>I've been watching this for awhile, and there is now a pattern to what I'm
>>>seeing.
>>>
>>>I'm running a configuration with multiple users sharing a bayes files.
>>>This is an interim move to facilitate the spamassassin upgrades, and like
>>>many interim moves its been going on for a long time.
>>>
>>>When I first build the bayes files from my personal folders and my spam
>>>archives, things were great. 99.8% of the spam caught or better. Then,
>>>usually after a week or so, the number starts to drop. Right now, its down
>>>to 97%, in another day or two it will be down below 95%. With the amount
>>>of spam we receive, that is a lot of missed junk mail.
>>>
>>>So I blow away my bayes* files, rebuild, and I'm back up to darn near 100%
>>>caught. For about a week. Then the deterioration begins again.
>>>
>>>Has anyone else encountered this? Is this an artifact of too many users
>>>sharing a spam file?
>>>
>>>Also.... I retrain each night, feeding any missed spams plus any new hams
>>>received back through sa-learn. I can't see how that makes it worse, but
>>>who knows.
>
>> Do you have autolearn enabled?
>
>Uh... yes? You are suggesting that I turn it off? I had always assumed that
>if the Bayes learned something as ham that it shouldn't, sa-learn was smart
>enough to undo it.

It might be worth a try, or at least vary your values higher and lower
for spam/ham. I've had issues with autolearn before and no longer use
it. My mail flow is low enough that manual learning suffices.

Regards

Nigel

Re: Bayes resolution gettin weaker

Posted by Jack Gostl <go...@argoscomp.com>.