Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Martin Hoeller <ma...@xss.co.at> on 2014/03/28 10:36:57 UTC

OutOfMemoryError with maven-javadoc-plugin

Hi!

I have a quite large multimodule project with >150 modules. When
executing "mvn site" the maven-javadoc-plugin is executed with default
configuration. After some time of execution it fails in "aggregate" goal
and I get a

  Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded"

I know, I can adjust MAVEN_OPTS to give it more memory and I tried it with
MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx1536m -Xms512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m" and with
MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx1280m -Xms256m -XX:MaxPermSize=768m". Both just leading
to another OutOfMemoryError (but no GC overhead limit exceeded).

I'm currently using maven 3.1.1 and tested with m-javadoc-p 2.8 and 2.9.1
(no difference).

So my question is: does any body have some idea how to tweak parameters
to solve this issue?

My current workaround is to disable aggregation in <reporting> section as
described here [0]. But this is really just a workaround, no solution :(

thx for your help,
- martin

[0] https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/examples/selective-javadocs-report.html

Re: OutOfMemoryError with maven-javadoc-plugin

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 28/03/2014 5:29 PM, Martin Hoeller wrote:
> Hi Ron!
>
> On 28 Mär 2014, Ron Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Have you tried increasing the JVM memory past
>>
>> MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx1536m -Xms512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m"
>> MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx1280m -Xms256m -XX:MaxPermSize=768m"
>>
>> You could try something extreme (-Xmx8g ) and see if that changes anything.
> Well, I should have added, that it was working fine with "-Xmx1024m
> -Xms256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m" recently. Since then I did a minor
> restructure of the project and updated maven from 2.2.1 to 3.1.1. So I
> thought the required memory wouldn't be much more.

Try with Maven 2.1.1 and see if it works.
If it does then the focus shifts to Maven changes.
If it does not then the problem is in what you changed in the project.

"Ron's Basic principle of debugging: Cut problems in half until the
answer falls out."

At least now we know that the problem is caused by a memory leak and
likely caused by something that makes Maven loop which creates objects
that can't be garbage collected.

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: OutOfMemoryError with maven-javadoc-plugin

Posted by Martin Hoeller <ma...@xss.co.at>.
Hi Ron!

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Have you tried increasing the JVM memory past

MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx1536m -Xms512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m"
MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx1280m -Xms256m -XX:MaxPermSize=768m"

You could try something extreme (-Xmx8g ) and see if that changes anything.

-Xms512m is not very useful in this case and you can omit it or make it the same as -XMXnnn.
Make sure that you allow enough(???) space after you allocate MaxPermSize.

MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx8g -XX:MaxPermSize=768m"

Did you notice that it took longer to run out  of memory with the higher
settings?
If not, then I may be barking up the wrong tree and you might have to
change JAVA_OPTS to affect the memory allocation.
If it did, then you are heading in the right direction but have not gone
far enough yet.

Ron

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi,

See also
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/javadoc-mojo.html#debug
With the generated script you can experiment without the overhead of Maven.

Robert

Posted by Martin Hoeller <ma...@xss.co.at>.

Posted by Justin Georgeson <JG...@lgc.com>.
The maven-javadoc-plugin has a maxmemory configuration parameter. In my parent POM I set a default property docs.maxMemory and then configure maven-javadoc-plugin with

<maxmemory>${docs.maxMemory}</maxmemory>

So each team can override that default setting in their pom.xml if they have an unusually large codebase, or set it really high on the command line for an aggregate javadoc of the entire multi-project workspace.

Yes I did. If I tried without "-J" I got some error.

--
Martin Höller                   | martin.hoeller@xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme           | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20          | Tel: +43-1-6060114-40
A-1100 Vienna, Austria          | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Re: OutOfMemoryError with maven-javadoc-plugin

Posted by Martin Hoeller <ma...@xss.co.at>.

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.

Posted by Martin Hoeller <ma...@xss.co.at>.
Hi Baptiste!