Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kevin McNamee <ke...@symsoft.se> on 2005/10/17 16:11:15 UTC

Plugin development headaches

Hi all,

I have high hopes for Maven and am looking forward deploying it here. I have
been struggling to get Maven to create a plugin for me for about a week now.
>From the mails on this list I realise that documentation is lacking but that
with the launch of Maven 2.0 nearing it will soon be fixed.

However, I would have believed it possible to hack my way through some
examples to get something (i.e. a plugin) up and running with Maven pretty
quickly. Those of us who have worked with Makefiles and Ant also expect to
be able to avoid the specifics of the programming environment being compiled
when using Maven. In other words my first approach to Maven is to script
something that compiles the product. In Maven 1.0 it was Jelly and in Maven
2.0 it is … well ... what is it?

Is it Marmalade? It exists but is lagging and now seems to out of the
picture altogether. See:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven-dev
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven-dev&m=112735456701029&w=2>
&m=112735456701029&w=2

Is it AntRun? Maybe here is where I will start my next attempt.

http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/index.html

Beanshells are written in Java

http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/brett/archives/001090_writing_beanshell_plu
gins_for_maven_20.html

Mojos are written in Java

http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/plugin/guide-java-plugin-deve
lopment.html

To help find the right direction I began at:

http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugin-overview.html

which only refers to Mojos and Beanshells. Is there to be no scripting
language???

Then onto

http://maven.apache.org/maven2/developers/plugin-development-guide.html

Which is empty!

So perhaps you understand my frustration. Where do I begin writing plugins
without using a programming language? What is the Maven philosophy?

Perhaps the introduction for the Plugin Development Guide could start by
pointing out what plugin technologies are available.

Any insights appreciated,

Kevin

 <http://www.symsoft.se>

Kevin McNamee
Design Engineer
Symsoft AB Kista Science Tower

TEL
FAX
GSM

+46 8 503 86 637
+46 8 566 166 01
+46 702 49 12 92

Färögatan 33, Box 1219
SE-164 28 Kista, Sweden

 <ma...@symsoft.se> kevin.mcnamee@symsoft.se
 <http://www.symsoft.se> www.symsoft.se

Re: Plugin development headaches

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 16:11 +0200, Kevin McNamee wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have high hopes for Maven and am looking forward deploying it here.
> I have been struggling to get Maven to create a plugin for me for
> about a week now. From the mails on this list I realise that
> documentation is lacking but that with the launch of Maven 2.0 nearing
> it will soon be fixed.

http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/plugin/guide-java-plugin-
development.html

> However, I would have believed it possible to hack my way through some
> examples to get something (i.e. a plugin) up and running with Maven
> pretty quickly. Those of us who have worked with Makefiles and Ant
> also expect to be able to avoid the specifics of the programming
> environment being compiled when using Maven. In other words my first
> approach to Maven is to script something that compiles the product. In
> Maven 1.0 it was Jelly and in Maven 2.0 it is … well ... what is it?

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+Plugin+Matrix

The matrix now has references to the SVN repositories and there are no
end of examples there. All the plug-ins thus far are written in Java.

> Is it Marmalade? It exists but is lagging and now seems to out of the
> picture altogether. See:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven-
> dev&m=112735456701029&w=2

Marmalade won't be officially supported.

> Is it AntRun? Maybe here is where I will start my next attempt.
>
> http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/index.html

It's an option for sure.

> Beanshells are written in Java
>
> http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/brett/archives/001090_writing_beanshell_plugins_for_maven_20.html

Beanshell is a scripting language.

> To help find the right direction I began at:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugin-overview.html
>
> which only refers to Mojos and Beanshells. Is there to be no scripting
> language???

Beanshell _is_ a scripting language and we have noted on the mailing
lists support for other languages like JRuby, Groovy and Jython.

> So perhaps you understand my frustration. Where do I begin writing
> plugins without using a programming language? What is the Maven
> philosophy?

Java, beanshell and antrun options as you've noted are what you've got
right now.

> Perhaps the introduction for the Plugin Development Guide could start
> by pointing out what plugin technologies are available.

Noted, and I'll add that to make it more clear. The current guide
strictly focuses on Java.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare