Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com> on 2016/01/22 17:37:55 UTC

Raise error when UPDATE STATS is done on a really big table?

Hi,

Just want to make you aware of the following JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRAFODION-1775.

In that JIRA, I propose making it an error to do UPDATE STATISTICS on a
really big table without using sampling. The reason being that it can take
a very long time in this case and is usually not intended. I will provide a
syntax that can override the error.

If you think this is a bad idea, or you think of better approaches, please
comment in the JIRA. If you think it is a great idea, you can make that
comment too, but I will consider silence as consent.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Raise error when UPDATE STATS is done on a really big table?

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.
+1, especially with the syntax that allows to override the error.

Hans

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.

Posted by Qifan Chen <qi...@esgyn.com>.
Hi Dave,

--
Regards, --Qifan

Re: Raise error when UPDATE STATS is done on a really big table?

Posted by Qifan Chen <qi...@esgyn.com>.
Hi Dave,

--
Regards, --Qifan