Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2017/12/18 07:42:28 UTC

[FEEDBACK WANTED] edit button on a Maven site

Hi,

I just managed to add an "edit" button in Maven generated sites, that will
help people find the source of the document.

See an example here (the little icon near the version):
http://maven.apache.org/skins-archives/maven-fluido-skin-LATEST/

I wanted to publish it to Maven site through http://svn.apache.org/r1818489
but buildbot did not catch the SNAPSHOT m-site-p plugin: we'll have to wait
for the release (after Doxia then Doxia Sitetools releases: please vote).

Feedback appreciated on the new icon, its configuration, or any idea that could
improve the feature.
Don't hesitate to propose improvements as html changes: we'll see later how to
get the update in the Velocity template that generated the html...

Regards,

Hervé

Re: [FEEDBACK WANTED] edit button on a Maven site

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
The idea is great, but personally I don't find the icon location obvious. I
was searching for a pen icon in the lower right corner of hte screen, which
(to me) is the de-facto standard. If we have it where it is now, there
should at least be a hoover hint saying what it does.

/Anders

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
I just commented the change in GH to advise you to add a title attribute on
the image to have a tooltip displayed by the browser. Otherwise it's a very
useful change.

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just managed to add an "edit" button in Maven generated sites, that will
> help people find the source of the document.
>
> See an example here (the little icon near the version):
> http://maven.apache.org/skins-archives/maven-fluido-skin-LATEST/
>
> I wanted to publish it to Maven site through
> http://svn.apache.org/r1818489
> but buildbot did not catch the SNAPSHOT m-site-p plugin: we'll have to wait
> for the release (after Doxia then Doxia Sitetools releases: please vote).
>
> Feedback appreciated on the new icon, its configuration, or any idea that
> could
> improve the feature.
> Don't hesitate to propose improvements as html changes: we'll see later
> how to
> get the update in the Velocity template that generated the html...
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé

-----
Arnaud Héritier
http://aheritier.net
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: [FEEDBACK WANTED] edit button on a Maven site

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I like this idea: implemented, you can see the result
I also implemented Arnaud's "title" idea: it helps discovering the objective
(before people get the habit)

On the CMS idea:
CMS is what is blocking us to switch site source from svn to Git. IIUC, infra
has prepared some Jenkins nodes with specific credentials to be able to publish
generated html to svnpubsub: this would permit us to put our site sources to
Gitbox, have a Jenkins job build them and publish html result immediately. The
content would be editable online for the team through github for those who
love editing online. And we would not have staging any more: but is staging
really a useful feature for us or a pain (i.e. to have an additional step when
publishing that is sometimes forgotten)?

I still need to study more in details how this has been implemented for Apache
projects using this Jenkins-based solution, but it seems to me the way to go,
isn't it?

Regards,

Hervé

[1] https://maven.apache.org/skins-archives/maven-fluido-skin-LATEST/

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

   /

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
I would expect the icon on the content that can be changed, not in the
navigation bar.
That would probably be the div.bodyColumn or div.section

And maybe we need 2 edit buttons: edit+github and edit+cms_asf.
The first one is for users that waqnt to adjust content via PR.
The other one can be used by us to directly edit the content via
cms.apache.org

thanks,
Robert