Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Scott Anderson <sc...@comcast.net> on 2004/04/25 18:01:06 UTC

Auto-setting properties on new files?

Hi all,

I've looked in the book, the FAQs, and the archives for this: how do I
tell Subversion to always set a particular default property on a new file?

I keep forgetting to do 'svn propset svn:keywords "Id"' on new files in
the archive, and I'm hoping that there's some way to set default properties.

Thanks in advance,
-scott

Re: Auto-setting properties on new files?

Posted by "Perry E. Metzger" <pe...@piermont.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
>> One issue with autoprops, though -- it is a pain maintaining autoprops
>> files for large numbers of users. If we can't get the equivalent of
>> autoprops into the repository itself, it would be neat to come up with
>> some sort of trick to allow users config files to be conveniently
>> updated from a master copy.
>
> Yes, absolutely.  :-)  This is getting amusing.  You're about the 10th
> person to follow this script:
>
> Q:  can't props be automatically set?
> A:  yes, use auto-props.
> Q:  but that should be a repository setting.
> A:  yes, we agree, and this feature (along with many others) is
> waiting for a repository-wide config file feature to be written first.
>
> Perhaps we need a new FAQ.

A section of the FAQ that included "features we understand you need
and know why you need but don't have yet and indeed fully intend to do
someday and here are some workarounds for now" would be cool. :)

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com

Re: Auto-setting properties on new files?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> One issue with autoprops, though -- it is a pain maintaining autoprops
> files for large numbers of users. If we can't get the equivalent of
> autoprops into the repository itself, it would be neat to come up with
> some sort of trick to allow users config files to be conveniently
> updated from a master copy.

Yes, absolutely.  :-)  This is getting amusing.  You're about the 10th
person to follow this script:

Q:  can't props be automatically set?
A:  yes, use auto-props.
Q:  but that should be a repository setting.
A:  yes, we agree, and this feature (along with many others) is waiting

Posted by "Perry E. Metzger" <pe...@piermont.com>.

Posted by Scott Anderson <sc...@comcast.net>.
Thanks, Ben, that did the trick.

Suggestion on the book: put a note (or a pointer) about auto-props in
the actual Properties section.

Regards,
-scott

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.