Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by J Wilson <tr...@yahoo.com> on 2010/09/03 05:50:12 UTC

[users@httpd] 500 internal server error running php application

Hi there,

I am installing a PHP application, a shopping cart php based, zen-cart on a Centos 5.3 box, running php 5.1.6 and apache 2.2.3.  Have done this many times before no problem, except now I recently had a sys admin set up my new Centos 5 server and the way he set it up, I can't remember if he made some settings in Apache httpd conf.d or php.ini config  - when I run the install script on Zen Cart via browser I get an internal server error.

I thought he told me at the time he either set up my individual config files for each domain in httpd or php.ini such that all the shopping cart - php scripts - files had to be owned by Apache which I did do, I ran a chown -R apache.apache  on cart files they are now owned by apache, then I ran the install script for the new store via browser and I got the internal server error,  even though I can view my index.html page no problem whether or not it is owned by Apache.

I checked  php.ini switches, could not find anything relating to the the domain in question also checked httpd conf.d files for the domain in question and added some Apache directives which I thought might do the trick, namely this between virtual hosts tags:

<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3?)$">
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Files>

no luck

So I think this is related to either Apache or php settings for running php scripts could be just a switch in php config riles or httpd.  Not sure if it's an apache or a php switch or directive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me a hint as to how to troubleshoot?

Thanks

Re: [users@httpd] 500 internal server error running php application

Posted by J Wilson <tr...@yahoo.com>.
Yes that was it, it was line 41.  I don't know how it got in there, it was most likely a comment I did not remove.

I removed it, and restarted httpd and now I can see the Zen Cart install page.

Thanks very much to all!

By the way, do you see anything in the below directives I just added that you think might cause a problem or security issue?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] 500 internal server error running php application

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sep 3, 2010, at 12:46 PM, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:

> What about AllowOverride for the oparticular host/location? if it's
> set to None
> Most of .htaccess directives will generate 500.

If it's set to None, your .htaccess files will be completely ignored,
and so won't generate 500s, or anything else.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: [users@httpd] 500 internal server error running php application

Posted by J Wilson <tr...@yahoo.com>.
Yes that was it, I removed it and can now see the install script page.

Thanks very much!

By the way, can you see anything in the directives I added to conf.d that may cause a problem or security issue in the future?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: [users@httpd] 500 internal server error running php application

Posted by J Wilson <tr...@yahoo.com>.
Actually I just placed this into my conf.d httpd config file for the individual domain in question, as per the .htaccess file instructions i posted earlier, and I got the below error on httpd restart:

Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 41 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/mydomain.com.conf:
deny not allowed here
                                                           [FAILED]

This is what I put in conf.d:

<Directory "/home/webspace/www/catalog/includes/">
AllowOverride Limit Options Indexes
</Directory>

<Directory "/home/webspace/www/catalog/zc_install/">
AllowOverride Limit Options Indexes
</Directory>

deny *everything*
<FilesMatch ".*">
  Order Allow,Deny
  Deny from all
</FilesMatch>

<FilesMatch ".*\.(js|JS|css|CSS|jpg|JPG|gif|GIF|png|PNG|swf|SWF)$">
  Order Allow,Deny
  Allow from all
</FilesMatch>

IndexIgnore */*

DirectoryIndex index.php

<FilesMatch ".*\..*">
  Order Allow,Deny
  Deny from all
</FilesMatch>

<FilesMatch "(^$|^favicon.ico$|.*\.(php|js|css|jpg|gif|png|html)$)">
  Order Allow,Deny
  Allow from all
</FilesMatch>

IndexIgnore */*

Posted by Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski <ra...@id.uw.edu.pl>.

Posted by J Wilson <tr...@yahoo.com>.
Actually the .htaccess files are ok I think, they are provided with Zen cart, what I need to do is follow instructions in their .htaccess files to set up apache for this particular domain.

The only problem is, each domain has it's own conf.d config file and I checked in the apache config files for two of the stores - domains that are operating OK and can't find any similar directives in them so I'm wondering where to place the directives.  In httpd.conf golbally for all domains?

Posted by Joost de Heer <jo...@sanguis.xs4all.nl>.

Posted by J Wilson <tr...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Joost de Heer <jo...@sanguis.xs4all.nl>.

Posted by Hendrik Schmieder <he...@jedox.com>.
Eric Covener schrieb:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM, chris h<ch...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Does a failed PHP script not show a PHP error as well as send a 500 response
>> code?
>>

> <fajita>  White Screen Of Death, one of PHP's specialties. It is
> produced when an error has occurred in a PHP script and the error
>                         reporting goes either to the error log or to
> nowhere. To solve it, look for the error reporting settings in php.ini
> (or use
>                         ini_set()). Also check the error log (see step
> one). Further questions MUST GO TO ##PHP.

It's very likely a crash in a php extension or php itself.

   Hendrik

Re: [users@httpd] 500 internal server error running php application

Posted by J Wilson <tr...@yahoo.com>.
I am beginning to think my issue is a php issue because the php script does not even launch and I am only getting the 500 internal server error.  Error logs looks like it's an .htaccess issue.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by J Wilson <tr...@yahoo.com>.
Not sure about that Chris, I only got the internal server error and no indication in the error message in either browser or error log for that domain that it was a failed php script though.

Does a failed PHP script not show a  PHP error as well as send a 500 response code?

Chris.

-----Original Message----- From: J Wilson

Sent: 03 September, 2010 11:02

To: users@httpd.apache.org

From: Daniel Reinhardt <cr...@cryptodan.net>

To: users@httpd.apache.org

Date: Friday, September 3, 2010, 2:50 AM

-----Original Message----- From: J

Wilson

Sent: 03 September, 2010 3:50

To: users@httpd.apache.org

Subject: [users@httpd] 500 internal server error running

[...]

The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP

Server Project.

See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more

info.

A 500 Internal Server Error is caused by a script timing

out.  Do other PHP Scripts run, or do they produce a

500 Internal Server error.

Thanks,

Daniel

Yes they run I have two other Zen Cart php stores on this server and they have been running for over a year no problems, when I installed the other 2 stores I had to have my guy set some switches in either apache or php to let them run, I'm trying to figure out how he configured either apache or php to allow them to run.

Maybe it could be firewall settings?

Start looking at the Database connection of the newly installed Zen Cart, since the other ones work out well.

How are these store's configured?

Thanks,

Daniel

Re: [users@httpd] 500 internal server error running php application