Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/03 11:57:20 UTC

Re: Problem in using SMTPAppender with gmail

RMMM skrev  den 28-09-2008 05:46:
> I succeeded in getting this to work (using log4j to send logging messages by
> smtp over ssl).
>
> I think it's appalling that log4j doesn't do this, and it isn't mentioned
> anywhere in the
> documentation. I even bought the complete manual for $20, but it doesn't say
> word about this obvious issue. So, here's how I got it working. (This one's

I believe that the Log4j manual predates the version of JavaMail that
could speak ssl, and I am certain that it predates the GMail service.

Unfortunately printed documentation doesn't update automatically.

Re: Problem in using SMTPAppender with gmail

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Oct 3, 2008, at 4:57 AM, Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:

> RMMM skrev  den 28-09-2008 05:46:
>> I succeeded in getting this to work (using log4j to send logging
>> messages by smtp over ssl).
>>
>> I think it's appalling that log4j doesn't do this, and it isn't
>> mentioned
>> anywhere in the
>> documentation. I even bought the complete manual for $20, but it
>> doesn't say
>> word about this obvious issue. So, here's how I got it working.
>> (This one's
>>
> I believe that the Log4j manual predates the version of JavaMail
> that could speak ssl, and I am certain that it predates the GMail
> service.
>
> Unfortunately printed documentation doesn't update automatically.

Also, the book "log4j: the complete manual" is not an Apache Software
Foundation product and the project does not benefit from its sales.