Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Mark Lybarger <Ma...@CBC-Companies.com> on 2003/03/13 20:50:49 UTC

using alternative views

Is it possible to use java applets as the view portion of my TDK web app?
Know where I could find a good start on some reading material on the
subject?

Mark Lybarger
Mark.Lybarger@cbc-companies.com
CBC Companies
614.442.3741

---

Re: using alternative views

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Mark Lybarger <Ma...@CBC-Companies.com> writes:

>Is it possible to use java applets as the view portion of my TDK web app?
>Know where I could find a good start on some reading material on the
>subject?

Well, sort of. If you don't want to use "Java applets" but java
classes, then Turbine can help you.

If you don't configure a template service (or even if you do :-) ),
you can back every screen, layout and page with a java class which
gets called if you request a certain template. There you can put java
code to generate your output.

Try putting

modules.packages = org.apache.turbine.modules, com.yourcompany.modules

into your TR.properties and then write a class

package com.yourcompany.modules.screens;

import org.apache.turbine.modules.Screen;

public class Myscreen extends Screen
{
  public ConcreteElement doBuild(RunData data)
  {
    ConcreteElement ce = new StringElement();
    ce.addElement("Hello World");
    return ce;
  }
}

and request

...your turbine url../screen/MyScreen

which should execute the doBuild() of that class above and render
it in a (possible Template) layout.

If you don't run a template service at all (remove it from TR.props),
you might need a page class which could extend DefaultPage and maybe a
layout class (if you don't have one, the page class will render the
screen directly).

	Regards
		Henning

(Hm, we might want to have a default page and layout class which is
used if we don't use a template service but want to render the output
of a class.)